cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this true?

N/A

Is this true?

Just had an interesting conversation with a BT sales guy trying to sell me broadband, when we already have it!

We can only get RADSL at present, most probably down to line noise as I believe distance to be ok. He says that BT can change an "E" or "D" card within the "cab" to cut down the line noise and therefore should be able to get a faster service 1mb/2mb.

Is this true? If so, how can I get this sorted?

Regards
Craig
8 REPLIES
Community Veteran

RE: Is this true?

> Just had an interesting conversation with a BT sales guy trying to sell me broadband, when we already have it!
>
> We can only get RADSL at present, most probably down to line noise as I believe distance to be ok. He says that BT can change an "E" or "D" card within the "cab" to cut down the line noise and therefore should be able to get a faster service 1mb/2mb.
>
> Is this true? If so, how can I get this sorted?
>
> Regards
> Craig

It's news to me that there are "Cards" in the BT cabinets? In my days with BT (mind you thats now 10 years ago)E and D refered to the connection strips in the cabinet. E=Exchange side D=Distribution side.

--
Regards
John
http://www.hmrg.co.uk
N/A

It is quite ammazing what BT can do these days.

I have 2 friends where I used to live, that failed there checks.

When speaking to BTO, they where told yes, and where able to sign up (and it worked).

1 year later, 1 have canceled and gone with another ISP. Though for some odd reason, it failed again.
stonechat
Grafter

> I have 2 friends where I used to live, that failed there checks.
>
> When speaking to BTO, they where told yes, and where able to sign up (and it worked).
>
BT have an unfair advantage over cvompetitiors - they would never do this for another ISP!
Bob
N/A

This sounds like one for OFTEL I think!

When are we going to see "fair" competition? Well so long as BT have the monopoly then probably never. Oh well, the big boy wins again.

--
Life Is A Roller Coaster.
N/A

> This sounds like one for OFTEL I think!
>
> When are we going to see "fair" competition? Well so long as BT have the monopoly then probably never. Oh well, the big boy wins again.
>
>
> --
> Life Is A Roller Coaster.

BT can't use different data from anyone else for checking suitability for broadband - it's anti-competitive.

Also, the ability of a sales person to influence an engineer in the field is extremely minimal, and certainly wouldn't be a worthwhile method of generating a few more sales.

As for the original question, I'm not sure, but it sounds like some confused terminology - I go along with the earlier definition of the old E- and D-side relating purely to exchange and distribution point side of the exchange.

Fact is, there are probably engineering tweaks that can be used to help a bit, but the engineers are not going to do it just to generate a sale. It might be something they'd do to sort out a fault.

Don't start on the BT monopoly thing - there is competition in the market and BT have been forced to allow other competitors to use their exchanges for broadband.

Get over it.
N/A

Interesting.

So, what exactly are the limits for 1mb & 2mb BB. My adsl router is reporting the following, should these figures be considered accurate?

SNR
SNR 34 dB

ATEN
ATEN Downstream 47 dB
ATEN Upstream 31 dB

Loop Distance
Loop Distance 10 K ft.
N/A

> Don't start on the BT monopoly thing - there is competition in the market and BT have been forced to allow other competitors to use their exchanges for broadband.
>
> Get over it.

I know the truth hurst sometimes but there we go.

Still on a brighter note, I use BT for my telephone services, I frankly wouldn't use anyone else, I think BT do an excellent job with the telephone services ant to that end, I am thankful. When it comes to the Internet and its seemingly close links with BTOpenworld then one does wonder. I have several friends who are on BTOpenworld Broadband and they're happy, its a case of each to their own.

--
Life Is A Roller Coaster.
N/A

> Just had an interesting conversation with a BT sales guy trying to sell me broadband, when we already have it!
>
> We can only get RADSL at present, most probably down to line noise as I believe distance to be ok. He says that BT can change an "E" or "D" card within the "cab" to cut down the line noise and therefore should be able to get a faster service 1mb/2mb.
>
> Is this true? If so, how can I get this sorted?
>
> Regards
> Craig

The ADSL line you get right now terminates into BT exchanges and I would be very surprised if they were offering higher quality lines for their broadband customers. It would be anti-competitive and they wouldn't try it. Typical marketing BS!