cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this download speed really acceptable?

Pheasantplucker
Grafter

SNR margin downstream 15 upstrean 29
Line attenuation 25 downstrean. 16db upstream
Errored seconds 29
Loss of signal 0 0
loss of frame 0 0
CRC errors 45 downstream 0 upstream
Data rate 8128db downstream 448 db upstream
Latency fast
It would seem that unlike a lot of people i seem to have a very good line capable of the full 8mb.
So why am I only getting speed test results of between 3.5 and 4mb??
Raised a ticket and have been told that this is all i should expect from my line.
Doesn't this make a mockery of Max dsl.
As a complete beginner and having no real understanding of all this stuff is there anyone out there who can either confirm that this IS the best speed that i can expect or should i be raising hell with the guys at support and demanding that something more should be done
4 REPLIES
N/A

I think it may just be the nature of the beast: here are my figures

Downstream Rate : 8128 Kbps
Upstream Rate : 832 Kbps
Downstream Margin : 9 db
Upstream Margin : 13 db
Downstream Line Attenuation : 13
Upstream Line Attenuation : 8
Downstream Transmit Power : 0
Upstream Transmit Power : 0

But as I have said in another chat a 0400hrs in the morning I can can get as high as 6474.2 but come peak period it is a different story when I can drop as low as 3318.8 at 1713hrs so mine are all over the place and I could get quite neurotic worrying about it...... so I don't :-)
Pheasantplucker
Grafter

BT speed test at 3am (god awful time to be playing with your computer) I can reach nearly 5mb but i really don't want to be up all night just to get a half respectable speed.
I suppose i'll just have to wait and see the outcome when all these dificulties are over. At least i'm a whole load better off that some of the people on here.
Maybe it would be a really good idea if PN were to make an HONEST STATEMENT about the inherant problems of max dsl
craiglay
Grafter

Or maybe BT should make an HONEST STATEMENT about the inherant problems of MaxDSL rather than just hashing through various fixes although for most it would have been a good idea to choose to have MaxDSL in the first place. I guess neither PN or any ISP invisioned these difficulties.

Bear in mind that people on your exhange can now sync much higher now MsxDSL is about, we have to think about contention again. Remember 50:1 contention ratios on 512K broadband? I doubt BT or PN have increased capacity massivly in line with the speed increases.
N/A

You must remember that your speed test will be affected by time of day etc and usage of your "sharded" link with PlusNet.

Besides what is this obsession, mostly doen not make a difference of you are on 4-5-6-7-8 Mbs. Most servers cant proivde content at that speed anyway.