cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there any other way?

N/A

Is there any other way?

That I could get a 2mbit line. I've had whoosh tests done I've had BT tell me I'm to far from the exchange, I'm desperate for the higher speed. I did see somewhere on here once that there was another way, but for the life off me I can't find it. Can't get cable over here so thats out, any ideas would be most welcome as I'm well hacked off. By the way I'm on adsl at the moment 512 speed. :?
13 REPLIES
N/A

Is there any other way?

If your on 512Kb/s with PlusNet, then I sugest requesting a Woosh test from PlusNet via link:contact us.

This will tell you your attuation figures, which is what defines if you can get 1 or 2Mb services.

There is little that can be done if you are too far from the exchange to support such a service. The BT contract only requires them to supply a line of suficient quality for Voice communications. There are a few provisions to make sure that it can support a specific speed from modems too, hoever, there is nothing related to ADSL.

You can however submit an order for combined PSTN and ADSL. This would need to be done via a seperate account, and not on your current one. So I sugest creating a PAYG account for this.

Next, submit a link:contactus request from the new account stating you wish to go for a combined PSTN and ADSL install.

PlusNet will submit an order to BT, at which point you are required to contact BT on a special number (provided at the time required). This will be to discuss the requirments of the line (not ADSL related).

A site survey is then performed, for which no access to your premesis is required (or at least it shouldn't be).

If your only route your line can take is the same as that your current one takes, then the order will fail at this point. Otherwise, some efforts will be taken to get a line sufficient enough to bringe the distance down.

Even after the line is in, you still can't be gurenteed ADSL at faster speeds.

The bad point here, it was never clarified what would happen if an ADSL install fails after install. I am unsute who is liable to conver the costs of what.

IE, you might still be required to fulfill install costs, or even see through the minimum contract term of the line.
N/A

Is there any other way?

So basically I'd need to set up a pay as you go account with plusnet then put in a request on contact us requesting a order for combined pstn and adsl, is that right? By the way what is pstn, and any idea how long this would take. The strange thing is there are 2 exchanges near me and I seem to be on the one furthest away. Thanks for your help and I look forward to your reply.
N/A

Is there any other way?

Yes. This is the process as described to me before pushing an order through a few weeks back. I didn't need the process in the end.

I am unsure how payment is handled for such a process, however, you still only pay for the ADSL and activation to PlusNet. PSTN instalation and rental is still to BT.

Note, this is not a cheap process.

PSTN standard for Public Switched Telephone Network. It describes the type of service provided. If you want me to, I can switch to full ancronym mode and confuse the hell out of you some moreTongue
N/A

Is there any other way?

Whats not cheap? Sorry to be so direct. Rough idea will suffice. And please keep it simple....lol
N/A

Is there any other way?

The cost is different for most people, and is agreed between you and BT.

For the most part, I understand it to be £99 for instalation and tied to a minimum of 1 year.

Then there is (as noted), the cost of ADSL activation.

Phone BT and talk to them regarding getting a second line, but make it clear it is a thought process.
N/A

Is there any other way?

What about wireless internet? How can I find out if I can recieve this as I believe this would not matter then if I was to far away from the exchange. Sorry to be a pain, but you are helpful.
N/A

Is there any other way?

You are best speaking to people on ADSL Guide about that sort of thing.

Wireless is still preblematic over distances, and satallite is rubbish for online gaming.

PlusNet provide neither of these services.
Community Veteran

Is there any other way?

And as far as I know, BT don't either. You will need to find a local company offering wireless broadband but there are very few around and they tend to be in the rural areas where broadband is not available at all.

The fact that you already have 512k service suggests you will not have a wireless service in your area as it would not be economic to supply one where boardband is already available.

The other problem is will the company supplying wireless stay in business - several wireless operators have gone bust recently due to low demand for their service and BT's expanded exchange activation plans.
N/A

Is there any other way?

How much wud da 2mb line cost then
N/A

Is there any other way?

If your on 512Kb/s with PlusNet, then I sugest requesting a Woosh test from PlusNet via <a href="http://contactus.plus.net">Contact Us</a>.

Dear Customer,

If you would like us to perform a whoosh on your phone line I assume you have an ADSL fault. Please raise another Contact Us ticket and follow the ADSL fault path, so we have the required information.

Sad
N/A

Is there any other way?

Reply and state you are checking the viability of a 2Mb accounts.

I am pretty sure they will put it forward then, all that extra dosh and all.
Community Veteran

Is there any other way?

How much wud da 2mb line cost then

ADSL Office 2000 Self-Install £75/month plus regrade fee. It is only available on a business product.
N/A

Is there any other way?

That is the business product, which is £75 + VAT, so that works out to £88.13 a month.

However, that isn't the only 2Mb product PlusNet offer. They also have the Home Worker range which rpovides 100% the same quality service, but isn't for business users.

This is £65.95 a month including VAT, as can be seen HERE