cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is the attenuation limit set in stone?

N/A

I am 1db above the limit for 2 mb. Is there any way of improving this (eg, new router, better internal cabling etc), or am I stuck on 1mb forever?
14 REPLIES
N/A

Hi there,

Basically yes. A while ago BT where a bit more flexible about upgrading borderline connections. But the increase in the number of connections which turned out to be flaky put a massive strain on their resources. So now they play it safe.

But yes, some of the things you have mentioned could improve things, though the reading you get from the test socket, behind the faceplate of your master socket would almost certainly be the deciding factor.

I have seen cases where the choice of router has made a large difference in the readings. Might be worth trying to borrow say a Netgear DG834 or one of the more expensive routers, say Zyxel, if you could lay your hands on one, to see what result that gives.

One pitfall you might find though, will be the BT database. If that reports that you are out of limits, then until that is changed you may be snookered.
N/A

Thanks for that. I did actually run the test in the main socket and the extension, and got 44dB for both. The noise figure was different though, higher on the extension. Is this significant (clutching at straws?)
N/A

Not really, unless the difference was quite large. If the master socket gives 44, then short of your router reading incorrectly, you could be on as good as your going to get for now.

A woosh test by Plus net would be the best way of determining your stats, however, as you dont really have a connection problem and the fact that they are snowed under, I reckon that the chances of them running one are slim tbh.
N/A

Oh well! Might try cable!
N/A

Just out of curiosity what should the line attention be. for 2mb and what are the ranges for the SNR
N/A

Hang in there.

If i understand things correctly, the ADSL2 products will not be using the same line limits as exist now, so you might see greater speeds in time. When that will be though is anyones guess. Smiley :roll:
Community Veteran

The 2Mb limit is 43dB and for a reliable connection, SNR needs to be 10dB or higher (this is true for any speed, not just 2Mbs).
N/A

kev00l

For a much more detailed answer than i could give here, see this article from kitz.

Explains it all very clearly.

Bear in mind though that BT started applying the stricter limits in August of this year.
N/A

well my line attentuation is 50db down and 30db up with my SNR @ 13 down and 23 up makes no sence to me. give me a plaster board or some metal stud. anyday
Community Veteran

The upstream and downstream figures will always be different becase they use different frequencies and ranges and thus are subject to different types of losses.

For an explaination of these see ADSL: Understanding Line Loss and measurements

The important one is the downstream figures.
N/A

ADSL Link

Connection Speed......down 2272 kbps........up 288 kbps

Line Attenuation ..........down 26 db............... up 6 db

Noise Margin................down 20 db............... up 28 db

When i play battlefield 2 online I get odd lag I know its not graphical and my ping is always really low but would my results there explain the random lag.
Community Veteran

Your up line attenuation is lower than I would expect considering the high SNR figure you have so this may be a factor in getting errors (i.e. having to retransmit) when sending but this is just a guess.
N/A

thanks for the quick reply most appreciated.

i recently put in a new phone line extension it was then it went lower i will put my old one back in see if improves thanks again
N/A

ADSL Link

Connection Speed......down 2272 kbps........up 288 kbps

Line Attenuation ..........down 26 db............... up 6 db

Noise Margin................down 22 db............... up 29 db

well it has not changed much ohh well