cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is the 4 static IP option only for business accounts?

N/A

Is the 4 static IP option only for business accounts?

Hi all,

Just signed up to Home Surf with the router starter pack. After much reading of plusnets support site pages I figured I could get the 4 IP option but after reading some of it again (and again to double check) it appears I can only have 1 static IP as a home user. I was planning on using Linux to do my small amount of NATing and handle a personal webserver and possibly e-mail server if I can work out how to use sendmail....

Anyhow, if I want Linux to do the NAT and firewall stuff, then ideally I want Linux to have the static IP not the router in which case I'm probably going to see if I can cancel the router starter pack and get hold of an ADSL ethernet modem...

Anyone got any comments that may get back to me before I get a reply to my ticket?

Chris
5 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Is the 4 static IP option only for business accounts?

> Hi all,
>
> Just signed up to Home Surf with the router starter pack. After much reading of plusnets support site pages I figured I could get the 4 IP option but after reading some of it again (and again to double check) it appears I can only have 1 static IP as a home user. I was planning on using Linux to do my small amount of NATing and handle a personal webserver and possibly e-mail server if I can work out how to use sendmail....
>
> Anyhow, if I want Linux to do the NAT and firewall stuff, then ideally I want Linux to have the static IP not the router in which case I'm probably going to see if I can cancel the router starter pack and get hold of an ADSL ethernet modem...
>
> Anyone got any comments that may get back to me before I get a reply to my ticket?
>
> Chris

Stick with the router, just set it up to forward all(or just the required) ports to your linux machine. a router is much more versatile 'cause you can forward mail requests to one machine and web browsing to another etc...

your router will act as a hardware firewall aswell if you set it up propperly.

Bill
N/A

Good new, and very bad news.

1: You can use the linux box to perform port forwarding regardless of it having the static IP.

2: 4 IP blocks are available to hoem users, however, +net will only give them out, if you can prove a valid reason for them. To use them in the way you want, wouldn't be classed as such.

The bad news is the account you have chosen.

From my understanding, you can't use this account type for any incoming ports (NAT +net side).

I may be wrong, however, this account type is heavily filtered.
N/A

Oops, I shouldn't have typed the 'Surf' word as I've signed up for the £22 ADSL Home package not the £19 Home Surf package.

What is classed as a vaid reason for requesting the 4 static IP block then? They replied to my ticket asking me to confirm why I wanted a block of 4 before they could consider actioning my request. I replied saying that I'm trying to learn more about Linux and want my Linux PC to handle all firewalling and NAT/IP Masquerading to allow my laptop to share the net connection as I'm currently doing with my dial-up/modem based account. I have a 2nd NIC to put in the Linux PC to plug the router into.

I really don't want two layers of NAT as this has caused problems for me at work (local proxy, into ISP proxy) with session based websites refusing to work for whatever reason. My g'f will be mightily annoyed if her favourite websites suddenly aren't usable anymore, and I really don't want to remove Linux from the equation. I'll also be adding a desktop PC in the near future.

As I said in my first post, if I can't get the 4 IP block then I'll try and stop the router order and pick up an ethernet modem as this will allow Linux to pick up the static IP on the relevant eth interface and remove the 2nd layer of NAT that I really don't want. If I can't cancel the router then I'll likely be able to either keep it for future use or sell it.

Cheers all, I'll post back when it's all 'resolved'!

Chris
N/A

Out of curiosity, how long should I wait roughly for a response to the reply I gave for my ticket?

It was first answered within 6 hours but it's been almost 12 hours since I replied with what they asked me for and I've heard nothing back....

If I don't need the router I'd like to try and cancel it ASAP otherwise it may be too late.

nry
N/A

I would cancel the router.

The thernet modem method, is suitable for both block IP and single IP.

This will cover both situations.

In adition to this, I would look at the RIPE site, for information on why IP blocks are assigned.

IP addresses in the IPv4 namespace are a precious resource. While there is comfort in knowing there are many to go around, they still can't be handed out to tom, ***** and harry just because they want to learn more about the internet (you should get what I mean)

I do not mean to sound harsh, needing to ask what would be a valid reason, is usualy a sign, that a person is not ready for the responsibility of owning a block of IPs (admin and security sence).

Just to note, there is no reason why a NAT based setup, would prevent any sessions. The only time this would fail, is when a site will only allow a single session per IP. With NAT becoming more common, this is there loss and error.