Is premier still 30:1?

N/A

:?:
10 REPLIES
shellsong
Grafter

That was over a year ago before 2Mbps! ("We don't mention the "c" word around here any more!" Tongue )
N/A

What?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

"c" = "contention"
Basically the method PlusNet used to measure contention wasn't really accepted by a lot of people because of the amount of shaping of P2P etc. which was taking place.
Finally the 30:1 figure was removed from the advertising and at about the same time BT also removed contention from their specifications as it had no real significance once speeds started to increase to 2Mb and beyond.
N/A

Ok so how many users do i share my connection with? Or dont i really? Everyone just shares it all and the 30/50 figures were just an estimation of customers devided by bandwith?
Community Veteran

I don't think that was ever how PlusNet worked it out.
Basically you will get full speed on http and e-mail but all other protocols will be throttled/shaped to varying degrees (P2P and UseNet the heaviest) at different times of the day depending on the network loading.
Have a read about the gold/silver/bronze protocols.
N/A

I know but thats nothing to do with contention.
Community Veteran

You know that and I know that but thats how PlusNet justified the fact that they claimed 30:1 contention when a simple available bandwidth calculation against users showed otherwise
Have a look at this thread for some light reading on the subject
Discostoo
Grafter

"c" doesn't really matter anymore, its all to do with *hushed* "Ellacoyas" now. If you want to get around it though all you have to is buy your own network...
N/A

hotline your being a tard, the contention is not about bandwidth its about the number of dsl subscribers per line at the exchange, it doesnt matter if the bandwidth is 2mb/s or 512kb/s or 8mb/s or even 100mbit/s you still have to share the switching with all those around you. Yes the higher contention ration you have does indeed influance how much bandwidth you can get, however its due to the amount of people sharing the kit not the pipe its self.

That said, if you were on a 50:1 contention it would effect HTTP P2P and any other protocol you can name cos its ALL just bandwidth, contention didnt give a crap if it was a P2P packet or if it was an HTTP packet, its all just.. packets..

BT removed their contention stats due to the fact they were over subscribing their exchanges and instead of investing in more kit to keep the 50:1/20:1/10:1 contentions they offered, they just removed them so that you could not complain about being over contended. Plusnet did the same (they had more than 30 customers per bit of kit) so they just removed the 30:1 stat and said "hey it doesnt matter", when really.. it still does, and the only thing that can be said for the fact that it has been removed is that it no longer is 30:1 but propbably 100:1 or more, which effects all your data no matter what it is.
Community Veteran

I'm locking this as the conversation isn't really going anywhere and it will only get unnecessarily heated.

Chris