cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is plusnet blocking traffic ?

N/A

not sure where to post this but would like some help please!

situation

I have been using emule for some time with no problems at all.

The past few months I have had some strange behaviour. Regular disconnections and having to change the ports to get high id.

Now no matter what I try i can't get a high id, although all port tests I have carried out say my ports are open.

OS win xp pro 2002 no updates or service packs
router linksys BEFSR41
ethernet modem D-Link DSL 300g
latest emule and tried others.
have no firewall software and nothing else installed on system.
no spyware/adware/viruses etc. just performed a new install of os and tried on another computer. still low id.

very greatfull for any ideas.

also i get hangups when downloading large files, over 10meg and steam hangs when updating.
12 REPLIES
N/A

What product are you on?

Are you on Homesurf (£18.99 a month) by any chance?

If so, this is your problem. This product was sold as a product that could not access P2P or binary Usenet servers.
N/A

So whey suddenly i have these problems should i chnge isp's affter all my referals?
N/A

Have you tried any other programs that use p2p. Lit BitTorrent?

Have you inabled the REALLY STUPID p2p limting thing.
N/A

The Homesurf product has always included blocking.

In much the same way that a Virus scanner is updated to reflect newer viruses and scanning methods, so to is the blocking system PlusNet use. It is updated and refined on how it detects such traffic and stops it.

It was clearly noted within the product description that the product would not be suitable for P2P or usenet and that the then Broadband Home would have been better.
N/A

what would be my best upgrade option and how much will it cost?

I would like the unlimited d/l feature please.

thanks
N/A

Apparantly the packages are being reworked - best wait until 28th to find out what your options are.
N/A

For one, there is no such thing as an unlimited download package, and won't be even in the new products.
N/A

ok thanks for your help everyone, I'll hang on and see what happens.
N/A

So what products do support P2P file sharing?
Community Veteran

All do except homesurf and biz surf.

BB+ does still support it but it's priority is set low so it is restricted during busy periods so that is not the best product to use for P2P.
N/A

how about stop using P2P - its full of spyware and virii, get the "legit" files from a more desirable place, eg IRC (they can not filter DCC ports as they have totaly legit vaules, just as they can not filter port 20 // 21 for FTP use) or just use mirrors on the web
N/A

It is relativly easy to filter DCC downloads, unless you are using a IRC network that supports SSL.

IRC is a plaintext protocol. Simply listening to CTCP requests, and performing blocking or limitations on the ports and addresses caught can do the trick.

It can even be done dynamicly, in the much the same way normal P2P classification takes place.

Pedantic, I know. But boy does technology allow companies tod more these days./