cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is line rental required to maintain my plusnet internet?

N/A

Hi,

I was told that if I bought plusnet's Broadband Plus option and wanted to cancel before 12 months i'd have to pay around £58 admin fees.

To get around this problem, would I be able to cancel my line rental after say 10 months and continue to pay plusnet until the 12 months are up?

Would plusnet automatically charge me £58 since they were no longer providing the service as my line rental was removed?

Thanks in advance
13 REPLIES
Community Veteran

If you cancel your line rental your BT line is cut off and thus all services on that line are also cut off.

For PlusNet ADSL you need a working voice line from BT. No BT voice line, no ADSL.

You would stlll be liable for any remaining contract payments (upto the 12 months on an anual contract or 30 days on a monthly contract), even though you don't have ADSL.
N/A

Thanks for the reply.

My point was that if I cancelled my line rental after 10 months (since i'll be at uni and won't be their for the full 12 months) then will plusnet automatically cut me off and thus incur the £58 cancellation fee they say I must pay if, even with a monthly contract, I want to cancel within 12 months?

This is simply to save me money since it's easier to pay £30 in total for 2 months at £15 than pay the £58 cancellation fee and if I can get away without paying for line rental that'd be even better.

Thanks in advance.
Community Veteran

Did you elect for deferred activation when you signed up. If so, the £58 is that payment which must be made if you cancel within 12 months.

Even after 12 months, all that happens with a deferred activation is the remaining payment is reduced until after 5 years you don't have to pay anything.

Even so, having your line cut off is probably the same as cancelling your account so any defered activation and other charges (including any remaining monthly fees) will be payable even when you don't have ADSL.

Basically, there is no way not to pay the remaining fees or only pay for 10 months worth of ADSL instead of 12.
N/A

Could you elaborate on what "deferred activation" is?

Basically i've been told that, even with the monthly service, i'd have to pay £58 if I was to cancel within the first year of my contract. Is this true?

Thanks again.
Community Veteran

When you first get your ADSL BT charge your ISP about £58 to enable your line. Plusnet allow you not to pay this fee up front but "deffer" it. On plus this means that you are connected for free, however if you leave within 5 years you have to pay some of this back, the amount reducing each year. So if you leave within 12 months of joining then you will be charged the full fee, if you leave within 24 months the fee is less and will reduce each year until the 5 years is up.

This scheme is a very good idea as it allows you (according to Dave) to have a "free" (in a very loose sense) activation but not pay any extra per month.

However due to the schemes complexity compared to other offers of this kind, people get confused about it and this could give plus a bad reputation (for those who say they already have one look at AG's compare isp thingy).

I think plusnet would be better implementing a more traditional offer such as the Broadband Easystart they used to offer on the £21.99 package, with this you pay £3 more than the normal package per month then after 12 months you are free to leave with no extra charges.

Hope this helps
N/A

Thanks, that did indeed indeed help me understand it.

I found this page: http://www.plus.net/info2/legal/tandcarchive/280405-240805/contract_periods.html

And having been taken-aback at the utter ridiculousness of their "formula", I did the math and saw that I would in fact be better off than if I thought I would have been before.

Am I right in thinking that with the Broadband Plus service at £14.99 a month for 10-months I would have to pay the following in cancellation fees:

58.75 (Activation Fee) + 0 (Hardware Costs, I am buying my own kit)=58.75
58.75 * 1.10 (10% off the sum of the above) = 64.63
64.63 / 12 = 5.39
5.39 * 2 (outstanding period of 2 months, yes?) = 10.78
10.78 + 11.75 (Administration charge of £11.75) = £22.52

Therefore I'd have to pay £22.52 in total to cancel, yes?

That's certainly better than paying £30 for 2 months wasted service.

Thanks again!
Community Veteran

No, you would be on the you stay we pay offer, that page appears to relate to the old T&C's going out on friday.

If you go on a annual contract you will pay £58.75 after 10 months
If you go on a monthly contract you will pay £11.75 to start, then £47 after 10 months.

However I would presume that on an annual contract you would have to pay an extra two months subsription to leave (making up 12 months of payments)

Therefore the charges would be:

If you go on a annual contract you will pay £88.73 after 10 months
If you go on a monthly contract you will pay £11.75 to start, then £47 after 10 months.

I'd go monthly.
N/A

Oh...crap.

Can you link me to these new T&C for the monthly contract then? Can't seem to find them properly anywhere.

Thanks once more.
Community Veteran

Sorry, I should have included the link this page explains the you stay we pay for bb+
N/A

Thanks, that's real helpful! Cheesy

So i'll have to pay the £11.75 when I sign up? Gahh, why have they got to make it so complex.
Community Veteran

If you go for monthly, just a thought it might actually be less hassle if you pay the full activation now, rather than later.
N/A

Do these charges apply to those migrating from another ISP? This is about as clear as mud.

I didn't pay anything to Wanadoo (with them 7 years) or BT (leaving after 1 year).

This reminds me of my first mobile phone with Peoples - £50+VAT activation, charged by the minute, then £50+VAT to leave.
N/A

Confucious say...

http://www.plus.net/info2/move_broadband/terms.html, item 3:

If you cancel your service before the end of the 12-month minimum period, a moving fee of £14.99 (inc. VAT) will apply, in addition to any other fees that may be payable.

Now, I can't find a nice simple single page which lists, for migrants, ALL Ts & Cs.

I haven't found the Plain English Campaign crystal logo on the site yet either Wink