cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible for Plusnet to force a disconnect?

oliverb
Grafter

I use a VPN routinely and I've been very lucky so far, however today I've had the office end drop off the net and stay down. When I do go to reboot it tomorrow I'm fairly certain it will have stuck at PPP authentication, it always does.

I'd like to know if Plusnet could/would force a single account to reconnect. If the PPP session is ended it will probably reconnect properly.
4 REPLIES
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

If it's already dropped then I don't think we can do anything. The network guys can under certain circumstances kill the session, but only if it's connected to us. I also don't think the BT tests could help in this case as it's likely the router still wouldn't try and reauthenticate.
oliverb
Grafter

I figured as much, it's possible that it's been struck by lightening in which case nothing will help.

In my experience though the most likely failure is when it starts to connect and reports "Checking username and password", then halts at that point. When this happens it appears to me as if it is stuck "half open". It won't connect but it won't automatically give up and retry either.

Just running a diagnostic can be enough to clear it.
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 158

Try connecting with one of the BT test logins, sometimes this is enough to clear any authentication issues off the line and then reenter the correct details.

bt_test@startup_domain
password: test
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Help Team
oliverb
Grafter

I'm in the office now...

As before the router reported "checking username and password". I selected "disconnect" followed by "connect", refreshed once and there it was. It's easy when you're on site.

FWIW I blame my router for not having a time limit on authentication but both the SAR110 and Billion 7402G do this.