cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it me or is it them?

N/A

Is it me or is it them?

I've had an ongoing speed problem, with my ADSL connection, since last Friday. I accidentally knocked the switch controlling the wireless card on the side of my laptop, turning it off and disconnecting my laptop from the router.

Since that time, the speed for browsing has been very intermittent - sometimes, like now, it's ok; sometimes, it's frankly dire.

PlusNets bandwidth tester reports 125.20k at 19:51, Wednesday. It's been as low as 11.00k sometimes this week..

In fairness, they've tried to make some suggestions but the situation is not improving. The other laptop on the network is also pretty slow, reporting speeds of 43.00 kbps to 178.50 kbps.

AFAIK, I didn't change anything, didn't install any software etc. I tinkered with DRTCP to examine my RWIN and MTU settings, didn't achieve anything and set them back to the original settings.

Mrs. R had an early spring clean and re-arranged the wireless access point on Saturday. Could that be connected (to use a pun!) to the problem as I describe i.e. I'm thinking there could be some interference somewhere causing spurious network traffic between the laptop(s) and the access point. Would that apparently slow down browsing?

The other symptom I have seen is that laptop #1, of course it's mine, reports a network speed of 11.00Mbps normally - this keeps dropping to 6Mbps and has dropped to 1Mbps intermittently. Again, I am at a loss to know what to look and where.

Any suggestions please?
5 REPLIES
chino
Grafter

RE: Is it me or is it them?

> I've had an ongoing speed problem, with my ADSL connection, since last Friday. I accidentally knocked the switch controlling the wireless card on the side of my laptop, turning it off and disconnecting my laptop from the router.

so u have had problems from then onwards... would that not tell you somthing?

Have you thought it might be the thing u knocked.. try and borrow a wireless network card from a friends and see if u get the same problem, or even just try going back to ethernet just to test....

cUnDaLl
N/A

> so u have had problems from then onwards... would that not tell you somthing?
>
> Have you thought it might be the thing u knocked.. try and borrow a wireless network card from a friends and see if u get the same problem, or even just try going back to ethernet just to test....

Well, yeah, that was my obvious thought but the wireless card is internal in the laptop and therefore not easily broken by flicking the switch nor is it easily replaced.

I'm more inclined to blame the resiting of the wireless access point, were it not for the fact that laptop #2, 18 inches from laptop #1, is flying.

I moved it down near the wireless access point and it's a bit better - gotta love trial and error, huh?

Thanks for the thought.

JR
chino
Grafter

yeh it look like it will be trial and error for this...

you can always swop the laptops around to see if laptop #2 has the same problems as laptop #1 when it is placed where laptop #1 usally is...

i also think it will be the base station! ...

anyway good luck

cUnDaLl
N/A

Laptop #1 still does the same in laptop #2's position, which is only two feet different. Laptop #2 is now reporting anything from a respectable 496.80 kbps through 320.90 down to a pathetic 12.5 kbps using monitor.plus.net ... sigh.

Does the fact that the tests, on both machines, keep producing such different results give any idea of what the cause might be.

I did resite the access point in a clear spot - no difference.

This is getting increasingly frustrating!!
N/A

RE: Is it me or is it them? - it's me ...

To cut a long story short, my ADSL speed disappeared as at last Friday 10/Jan. After a week of frustration with (sorry) PlusNet first, then DSL the router supplier, BT naturally, Toshiba and finally NetGear, it appears, just maybe, I have a damaged wireless access point.

Netgear are replacing it after initially telling me that the power supply was U/S.

Sorry, Plusnet, for raising the issue in the first place. You were very patient and helpful, up to and including issuing a new IP address (and I'm still not sure why you did that).

The only support agent who was UNHELPFUL, very unhelpful, was the guy who answered the phone at 10:30pm last night. Strange he never actually said his name, but he was the pits.

I closed the open ticket.

Again, thanks for trying.