cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is cable broadband the answer?

N/A

Loads of people seem to be asking about ISPs that are better than PN.

My question: are all phone-based ISPs likely to be more or less as bad as one another, given they all have to battle with issues such as BT exchange problems, local telephone lines, etc.

If I went with someone providing CABLE broadband instead - NTL, for example - would my current broadband problems go away? (Dropped connections, no connections, slow connections, etc.)

My hunch is that if I went cable, it would eliminate ALL telephone line related problems and I would indeed have a constant 6 meg connection. Is this correct?
14 REPLIES
Community Veteran

My next door neighbour has cable from NTL.
I went round the other day to help him sort out a wireless router and having got it set up I tried to view my domain.
It was so slow loading the images that I just couldn't believe it.
So it looks to me that you can also see conjestion or slow down on cable. He says that was pretty well normal.
I wasn't impressed with it at all. Cry
N/A

I have two friends on cable, one with NTL the other Telewest, nothing but praise from them. One is actually high up in BT, so it does say a lot about BT.
The quickest response I have from PN to date is my request to cancel and migrate, so someone is up there somwhere. I think £47 for one month of hell is quite a good business deal for them, I take my hat off to them, bravo.
shellsong
Grafter

A dedicated high speed data connection right to your house is the obvious, sensible way to go but companies like NTL seem to have a knack for turning gold into dross! It's ridiculous that a service that has to make use of BT's wet string connection should be able to get anywhere near a cable based setup but somehow the NTLs of this world make the ludicrous seem easy! :roll:
N/A

I actually have Telewest cable in my house, so I am considrering doing a triple package of TV, phone and internet.
lingbob
Grafter

I also have Telewest cables installed but I'm extremely reluctant to change over because of the 'dodgy' installation outside. Somebody armed with a pair of bolt cutters could very easily cut the cables Sad
N/A

Why would they do that? I've never heard of that, is it common where you live?
Alecto
Grafter

Somebody armed with a pair of bolt cutters could very easily cut the cables Sad

They wouldn't need bolt cutters to cut the telephone wire.
N/A

That's what I thought, I'm getting rid of my car in case anyone does something nasty to it outside my house.
lingbob
Grafter

What I was getting at was, that for anyone to tamper with the BT telephone cable, it would require the use of a ladder whereas for anyone to tamper with the Telewest cable, it wouldn't, because the Telewest cable is reachable from ground level whereas the BT telephone cable isn't.
Alecto
Grafter

What I was getting at was, that for anyone to tamper with the BT telephone cable, it would require the use of a ladder

Mine's in a box just under the front door.
N/A

I think if I can get CABLE (and not telephone-line based) broadband from NTL, then that's the way I will go.

My main priority is to get a stable, interruption-free broadband connection as I need this for work, and for this I am willing to pay more. If this is what cable broadband provides - ie. in the same way my cable tv, when I used it, was continual and interruption free - then that seems to be my answer.

I do find it bizarre that in this day and age of the internet, so many people seem to be having so many problems with just getting a basic connection to it!

I have asked for my MAC code and am contemplating whether to take up Sky's offer (ie.will it solve my connection problems) - and I have BT coming to my house tomorrow to do a complete check of my phone line and if it needs replacing, I will pay for it to be done.

That then gives me two options: Sky (probably BT-based) and NTL. A bit between a rock and a hard place but surely either will be an improvement over PN.
N/A

Yes I see, I hate going up my ladder every time I phone anyone.
Alecto
Grafter

I do find it bizarre that in this day and age of the internet, so many people seem to be having so many problems with just getting a basic connection to it!

Not really surprising when you think of all the high speed connections they're trying to cram on to a dilapidated network that wasn't designed for them. It's no consolation, but Pn are far from alone in this.
N/A

I wouldn't trust NTL.

Around the outskirts of London there are dozens of those little green NTL junction boxes, and a good percentage of them seem to be permanently vandalised,with doors hanging open and internal wiring exposed to the world .