cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is ADSL always on?

N/A

Is ADSL always on?

I thought that broadband connections were 'always on'. However, if I leave my browser for more than about ten minutes I lose the connection, just as with dial up. Is this normal?
6 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Is ADSL always on?

What equipement are you using ie modem / router etc?

It is, or should be always on but some routers and I suspect some modems disconnect after being unused for a time.
This can usualy be overcome by finding a setting called "Idle Time" or similar and setting this to 0 (Zero).
N/A

Is ADSL always on?

Look for your ADSL modem in Device Manager, it may be under Network Adapters.

Highlight it, Action, Properties, Power Management.

Clear the box 'Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power'.
N/A

Thanks for your help. But....

Both these settings appear to be as you have recommended. Idle time is set to 'never' and the power saving box is unchecked. Are there any other possibilities? I have now set the modem to 'reconnect if line is dropped'.
N/A

Is ADSL always on?

Next look at the modem connection to the PC. Is it USB? If so, there shouldn't be anything connected to the second port on the same USB hub.
N/A

Is ADSL always on?

Something else to check (copied from PN tutorial):

Solving USB Modem Issues

There is a power management problem with some motherboards, including those using the Via KT7 chipset (which is found on several models of motherboard). This causes the USB ports to loose power at apparently random intervals. The symptoms would be that the Broadband ADSL will usually work fine for a short time and then the modem would just switch itself off or lose connection. After a reboot of the computer it will be OK again for a few minutes.

If you experience this problem we would recommend that you seek advice from your computer supplier or purchase an externally powered USB Hub.

You can also try downloading the latest 4 in 1 drivers from www.usbman.com, as this has been known to cure the problem.
N/A

Problem solved

I have followed all the advice here and the random dropouts stopped. However, Every few minutes of inactivity, I now got a popup telling me that Windows was going to disconnect. Once I found the tick box in Options and unticked it the problem disappeared. Thanks for all the useful advice.