N/A

Is 1Mb possible on my line?

Modem data listed below:-

..........................Down Up
Data rate......... 576 288
Noise margin..14.3 19.0
Output power ..15.6 12.2
Attenuation.......63.0 31.5

What is the procedure for getting this upgrade investigated?

Regards
Brian
21 REPLIES
duane_dibley
Dabbler

I've got 63dB down attenuation with 14.0 dB noise and I'm running at 1Mb. I don't have any upstream figures and I'm not sure how accurate a Westell router's reports are - but it looks OK to me.
Alecto
Grafter

If you look at this tutorial, it explains that 60db attenuation is the theoretical upper limit for 1Mb.
So BT may reject an upgrade request out of hand, or alternatively, if they were to try it, it may well work.

BT's reaction to an upgrade request on a line outside the limits is unpredictable - they often reject them without trying. Don't know what they'll do in your case, but you've nothing to lose by requesting an upgrade and seeing what happens.
N/A

Many thanks for your replies. Smiley

So, Do I just raise a ticket with Plusnet and they do the rest?

Regards
Brian
Alecto
Grafter

If you raise a ticket, you can ask Pn to do a woosh test which will confirm what your figures are. If you're waiting for the free regrade though, it could be difficult for you to tel lwhether they haven't tried it, or whether they've tried and failed, as feedback from BT is poor.

Or, assuming you don't mind paying £14.99 for the regrade now, just ring and ask them to do a manual regrade to the most your line will support. If it can't take 1Mb, you get the money back.
N/A

gpattison

My Broadand (BB plus) is less than two weeks old, I upgraded from PN dial-up. When I check my number on BT's site it says my line will only support 512, so I'm guessing thats why I have 512 and not 1Mb.

Who do I phone for the regrade?

Regards
Brian
Alecto
Grafter

Sounds like it. You should have been provisioned at he most your line can support if you've just joined.

The exchange checker does get it wrong though - says I can only get 512, and I'm on 2Mb, though my figures are better than yours.

Ring the support number 0845 1400200 if you want to ask for a speed upgrade.
N/A

I've got a lost of 60db acoring to plusnet Woosh test. But no Meg for me! Sad
N/A

Geoff

As a matter of interest what are your line stats, and how for are you from the exchange?

According to the checker on tiscali's site I'm 5.4Km from the exchange, and the capacitance figures are around 350 at each end.

Regards
Brian
N/A

nurserycottage

I did'nt need to hear that. LOL Smiley

How far is your exchange?

Regards
Brian
N/A

Hi Brian,

Welcome to the boards.

Raise a ticket to support querying why you didnt get 1mb quoting your current stats.

Ask them to run a woosh test on your line and to recommend whether a manual regrade would be worthwhile.

In honesty it is doubtful and as you may have seen from some of the other threads recently, it is better having a stable 512 than a flaky 1mb.

Good luck anyway and let us know how you get on.
Alecto
Grafter

Brian
My figures last time I looked
Downstream Attenuation 47 SNR 18, so not particularly sparkling, but 2Mb is solid and always has been.

Distance from exchange about 3.5Km if I remember.

Must be worth a try for 1Mb, I'd have thought.
Worst is they can say No :roll:
N/A

Hi Mark

Thanks for the welcome. Smiley

If you think its worthwhile, I'll raise a ticket tonight and we'll see what happens.

Regards
Brian
N/A

Geoff

Your figures are maginal for a 2Mb connection, but the same could apply for a 1MB for me.

I'll keep you all posted when I get a reply from PN.

Regards
Brian
N/A

The exchange is about 2.5km away, so its pushing it. Plus i live in cornwall so all the lines are flap snot.