cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is 1Mb ADSL less reliable than 512Kb?

cossey
Grafter

Or is it my Windoze XP PC dying? Or even my Netgear DG814 DSL 'modem internet gateway'?

Having upgraded to 1Mb ADSL a week or so ago I have been experiencing increasingly frequent timeouts/disconnects/errors, whatever you wish to call them, that did not occur anywhere near as frequently with the 512Kb connection.

Outlook is rarely able to collect all my mail without a timeout.
Web browsing for more than 20 or 30 minutes seems to require a modem/router reboot.
Downloads rarely complete first time (if > 5mb)

Would getting hold of DrTCP help or is that merely for performance (speed) tuning?

Any help much appreciated
2 REPLIES
Community Veteran

On marginal lines - i.e. that are close to 60dB line attenuation, or even over this figure or have a low SNR figure less than 10dB, increasing the speed can cause problems with reliability and performance. This is because a higher frequency range is needed for 1Mb over 512K and the line may not support this very well all the time.

Unfortunately your router does not show the line attenuation or SNR figures so you can't tell if this is the reason for your problems. Some routers are better than others on low quality lines so this can also be a factor. The type of ADSL filter can also effect things but not as often. A good quality ADSL filter can make a difference - I recommend the Excelsus Z-420UK-A Dynamic ADSL Microfilter or the XF-1e Professional ADSL Microfilter.

DrTCP won't help for line problems, it can only tweak transfer speeds.

There are several troubleshooting tutorials and help pages which I suggest you read through and see if they help.

ADSL: Trouble Shooting
ADSL: Wiring and Filters
cossey
Grafter

cheers Peter

I'll take a look at those links over the weekend.