cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Irritating, Odd, and not just isolated to me

N/A

i'm having slowdown issues.. but i have pin pointed it to what is (to me) an almost impossible cause. Several pieces of software i use are now reporting i have a firewalled connection, when (for valid reasons) i have no firewall whatsoever (not even Windows Firewall), and this is really starting to make sending and recieving rather slow. http is fine, but other software (yes, i have legitimate uses) report this "firewall blocking your connection" and it goes to a crawl, for uploads, and has an effect on downloads also.

For example, Windows Live Messenger in the last week has suddenly detected a firewall present between myself and the public internet, which in turn, makes any file transfers through it go at around 2k/sec, which, after asking several friends on plusnet, seems not just to be isolated to me. Other friends on other isp's have reported no issues.

This is the same with other transfer software, all reporting the same firewall, which i know does not exist at my end.

Any ideas guys? Sneeky plusnet firewalling? Because i have eliminated my router, and hardware, and put a USB Modem in its place, and completely disabled the Windows Firewall service, i know without question it isnt my equipment causing a "firewall" to be detected.

Spyware and virus checks also completed, but like i said, its not just me, other friends on plusnet in entirely different parts of the country are getting the exact same issues.

Any help or information would be appreciated, i would hate to think our connections would be limited in this way.
5 REPLIES
N/A

Exactly the same problem here. It's the traffic shaping, I think.
I can't make any kind of p2p/file transferring program connectable.

After disabling all firewalls and hooking up the usb modem, like you did.
N/A

Looks like PN have done it again...

I've only used around 10GB this month (and that's alot for me) and trying to update Azureus (which I'd expect given the number of seeds and peers to fly down) is chugging along at a hyper impressive 6kbps...
N/A

Well their new restrictions are even worse. 10GB and then your normal services HTTP etc get slowed right down. It is currently at 30GB before anything gets slowed down as far as I can see by their acceptable use policy. Its a big drop from 30 to 10GB.
N/A

glad to know i am not isolated here then (in terms of other forum users)

Plusnet, sort it out guys, its bordering on stupid. If you have a transparent proxy at work here, at least have the guts to tell us about it huh? Your service is almost un-useable now
N/A

I am also suffering from the same, i use a p2p program and currently download on average at 5kbs, getting rather sick of it actually. I dont normally download anything, so i know its not a restriction.