cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intrusion alert mails

N/A

Intrusion alert mails

Hi,

I have configured my router to alert me to intrusion attempts with my account's e-mail address, SMTP server, POP3 server, username and password. However, my router's log shows:

09/03/2005 17:29:41 SMTP> Fail to send alert mail. Delay 10 seconds.
09/03/2005 17:29:41 SMTP fail message>535 Incorrect authentication data.

I have verified all of the configuration details including my username and password are correct and tried alternative POP3 mailboxes but the problem persists.

Any suggestions for what might be the cause of the problem?

P
8 REPLIES
N/A

Intrusion alert mails

i don't know why your router would need the pop3 server address. that is just for recieving mail.

in any case the problem appears to be with the SMTP settings, so changing settings for reciept of mail isn't relevant.

are you 100% sure that the SMTP server is set up correctly? (relay.plus.net)
N/A

Intrusion alert mails

Absolutely sure and I realise my router probably has currently no use for the POP3 server but perhaps it's there for some future firmware enhancement.

Here's what the page form looks like for entering intruder detection alert configuration details (less my credentials and e-mail address.):

Your E-mail Address :
SMTP Server Address : relay.plus.net
POP3 Server Address : mail.plus.net
User name :
Password :

To prevent any typos, I copied and pasted every detail from Outlook Express so I know the configuration works in OE.
N/A

Intrusion alert mails

what is your router model and firmware version? perhaps the product was shipped with that feature broken.
N/A

Intrusion alert mails

I upgraded the firmware earlier today and there's nothing on the vendor's webiste about such a problem having ever been present in any previous firmware versions. Hoping Plusnet can check their mail server logs to see what my router is sending.
Community Veteran

Intrusion alert mails

Are you using you username and password, if so take them out ;-)
N/A

Intrusion alert mails

Are you using you username and password, if so take them out ;-)

aha. fair point.

the smtp server doesn't require a login, does it.

and i can confirm it does not work with a login and password.

well done denise Wink
N/A

Intrusion alert mails

Well I did try that earlier and was thrown by the fact my router won't allow me to leave the username and password fields blank and there's not option to not authenticate. Bit stuffed!
N/A

Intrusion alert mails

Ah suddenly occured to me to try leaving out the POP3 and low and behold it's accepted no username and password :lol:

Thanks chaps Cheesy