cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet connection sharing

N/A

Internet connection sharing

Can you help please.

I look after a small network with a server operating using Windows 2000 Pro.It has three client machines on the net 1 using W98, 1 using W2000 Pro and 1 using WME. They all work fine, speak to each other using Client for Microsoft Networks each having a specified IP address in the 192.168.*.* range.

I have upgraded to ADSL with an ADSL modem on the server. I want to share the ADSL connection on the other systems. I have gone though the process to share, or rather I have gone through the first part of the setup changing the client PCs to obtain IP address automatically. When I restart the clients they don't get an IP address and hence are not on the LAN. winipcfg does not permit refresh, indeed the client almost hangs trying to get one.

This make me think the client is trying to get an IP address but the Server will not give one out, are there specific settings on the W2000 server to set to send out IP addresses. I admit I don't fully understand DHCP. As I understand it the client trys to get an IP from the DHCP and if it can't addresses itself and then presumably appears on the LAN but my cleints don't self address, at any rate not tha I can see.

I have ticked the Assign TCP/IP addresses automatically using DHCP but still no LAN

Any help/ideas would help my hairline
4 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Internet connection sharing

Hi im qiute new to windows 2000 server my self but just to clarify your not runing dhcp server at the same time as your runing ics. this would creat problems. try to check that your not runing dhcp server if you are disable it.

Hope it works

Zak
N/A

Why don't you just leave the clients on static ip's ?

Bill
N/A

http://www.adslguide.org.uk/qanda.asp?faq=HomeNet#Q81

Make sure your firewall isn't blocking the clients. If you have Zone Alarm Pro like me, there is an option if you have ICS.
N/A

> http://www.adslguide.org.uk/qanda.asp?faq=HomeNet#Q81
>
> Make sure your firewall isn't blocking the clients. If you have Zone Alarm Pro like me, there is an option if you have ICS.

check out www.practicallynetworked.com

also if youre clients are not getting alocated IP's in the 192.168 range then they are not seeing the server they will automatically get allocated a IP not in that range try setting them up manually and set the default gateway the IP of the server make sure you set IE for LAN and no proxy

Cheers
J