cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet Radio

jabb0
Grafter

Internet Radio

Ive discovered internet radio - sheer bliss man!!!
SomaFM - if ur interested.
I cant beleive i have ignored it for as long as i have Shockedops:

I listen to muzik like ALL the time.

So say i switch this on in the morn, then off at night = 18hours
18hours = (18*60*60) = 64800 seconds
64800*128 = 8294400 b per Day
8294400 / 8 = 1036800 B per day = 1.036800 MB per day

I am woefully terrible at anything mathmaticy - am i right, a whole day only takes up 1 megabyte of data?

Ya see i beleive my math is so bad, and am so shocked by this figure that its a case of ... Can someone tell me where i went wrong? :twisted:

cheers
10 REPLIES
Alecto
Grafter

Internet Radio

The mistake is in using 128 bits per sec for radio. I'd assume 35kb/s as more typical (that's the figure from the BBC)., which comes out at just under 16MB an hour.
jabb0
Grafter

Internet Radio

the highest quality i can get is 128kbps. which is nice.
So given i never took into account the kilo - i do with uping my calculation by 1000.
which would be a gig :shock:

Man both these answers seem to be too extreme.

i kinda wanted to know cos of hw whole SUP thing.

aw i dunno, my head is in meltdown Sad
Alecto
Grafter

Internet Radio

Yes, isn't it amazing how things use more bandwidth than we would like? :lol:
So at 128kb/sec, that's near enough 60 MB per hour, or as you say 1GB for a full day's listening. You don't get a lot of sleep then? :lol:
Or you could listen in lower quality. Can your speakers or ears really detect the difference? Ask a friend to help you do a blind test and see.

To confirm the figures, check the VMU meter before and after the day's listening.
N/A

Internet Radio

As gpattison so cheerfully puts it, 32kbps is much more modest. You make notice a slightly reduced quality but hey, less buffer times (dependant on whether you got any anyhow) and reduced usage of bandwith. Its winwin.
N/A

Internet Radio

32kbps is much more modest. You make notice a slightly reduced quality

At 32k the sound is horrible with ringing and other very audible artifacts. I listen to a lot of opera on internet radio. The sound starts to get half decent at 64k (wmp better than real at this bitrate). At 96k better still and 128k pretty reasonable. There are some stations broadcasting at 320k WMP and this sounds fantastic. If you are listening to all this through a proper hi-fi - which I am - it makes a BIG difference. With the the new limits that are coming into place it will be pretty impossible to listen to high quality internet radio with PN,
Alecto
Grafter

Internet Radio

Point taken about sound quality if played on a decent system, (which I imagine most people don't have connected to their computers).
But at least on premier, it's only 4pm to midnight you will need to consider for the bandwidth limiting.

ps what's the best internet station for opera?
N/A

Internet Radio

Point taken about sound quality if played on a decent system, (which I imagine most people don't have connected to their computers).
But at least on premier, it's only 4pm to midnight you will need to consider for the bandwidth limiting.

ps what's the best internet station for opera?

Of course with most live broadcasts 4pm to midnight is exactly when I'm listening or recording. For a listing of the available opera braodcasts on the web check out www.operacast.com
Alecto
Grafter

Internet Radio

Thanks for that nick.

Yes, 8 hours per evening at 128k would take you to some 450MB a day, or 14GB a month, unless you have weekends off. And that's without doing anything else.
jabb0
Grafter

Internet Radio

Got a proper stereo, thumpin out over 300Watts of deep, groovin sqelchy basslines, through a set of speakers which are a dream.

Granted full 300Watts is not the normal listening volume (unless of course its a good track), but yeah i do kinda notice the diference man.

oh and there is this lovely little red btton which when pressed engages something called VACS... which in turn rattles the very foundation of our planet !!! YEAH !!!! Cheesy :shock: Cheesy

so i am now annoyed at how much the radio will take up.

Oh aye and no i ont really get a lot of sleep sometimes, but dont worry i have been told hat i could "sleep on a clothes line" - my head goes down my lights go out Tongue
N/A

Internet Radio

So............moderate user, not gaming or downloading stacks of pics, vids mp3s.....and you end up with a massive (n>3)Gb per month.
Hence, on the Plus account you would be penalised in some way.

Seems unfair to me.
You're not one of the heavy users they want to migrate to Premier or PAYG, you're a light user who enjoys some tinkling tunes in the background.
This seems to demonstrate that 3Gb per month is not practicable in this modern era.
If they're going to offer 8Mb, then we're going to access more and use the bandwidth to do more - e.g stream video, install webcams for remote access or some such stuff (You can see I'm not an expert).
Perhaps a higher limit would be more reasonable. 10GbHuhHuh

As I understand it, the 3Gb is a peak, after which download speeds degrade until they are reset the next month.
If I click refresh several times (as I have to do with the often poor connection (gateway pte-ag1)) will that contribute several times to my usage?
Steven