cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intermittent connection with XP & Connexant PCI modem

N/A

Intermittent connection with XP & Connexant PCI modem

I have two OS on my computer, XP and ME. With ME the ADSL connection is just about perfect, but with XP it is intermittent--on for 2 mins, then off for 30 secs.
I had terrible problems originally to install the software for the Connexant PCI modem. I followed the instructions to the letter, was told that the drivers were being installed, but then the icons just did not appear.

Can anyone help with the intermittent connection problem?
3 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Intermittent connection with XP & Connexant PCI mode

> I have two OS on my computer, XP and ME. With ME the ADSL connection is just about perfect, but with XP it is intermittent--on for 2 mins, then off for 30 secs.
> I had terrible problems originally to install the software for the Connexant PCI modem. I followed the instructions to the letter, was told that the drivers were being installed, but then the icons just did not appear.
>
> Can anyone help with the intermittent connection problem?

It's because you are using the drivers on the cd. Go here www.themad-house.co.uk and download the latest connexant drivers which are fully XP compliant.

N/A

Just to expand on your problem
I had a **** of a time when i put XP on my system. What happend was, when I installed XP it loaded it's own drivers and when you try and install connexant driver it say's it is installed but no icons. I had to take the modem out and reinstall XP. After which i then plugged the modem in and installed the drivers off the cd, since then it has been fine.
N/A

My experience has been that you are better off installing the drivers before you install/attach the device. That way, the device signature is matched against the vendor-supplied driver rather than the MS-supplied one that gets recognised as soon as XP boots and/or the device is detected.

Install drivers, shut down, install/attach device, start up. This seems to work more reliably.