cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intermittent and worsening speed drop

N/A

Hi; along with several others (or so it appears) I've been seeing greatly reduced speeds on my ADSL connection recently. I've been on BB Premier (Up to 2MB) since April-ish and I've not experienced any such issues until last Tuesday or Wednesday. The slowdown's are almost total (most sites suddenly stop responding), intermittent (I had a good 90 minutes of OK speed this morning) and hellishly frustrating.

I've carried out similar tests as described here http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=31690 without any particular conclusive results. Sometimes, I can actually carry out an ADSLGuide test but the results don't always show up since the results page is so slow that it times out.

I've cleared browser cache, rebooted PC's, power-cycled ADSL hardware, kicked the cat and shouted at the children. None of that helps.

My hardware setup hasn't changed since I first joined PN, so I'm inclined to eliminate that as a cause. I've carried out two BT speed tests thus far, with the latest showing 167Kbps. I've submitted the earlier results to PN as part of a support ticket but I can't actually get to the page to check what I had and report it here! My exchange check at BT reports all green. I wasn't home all day Wednesday during the period when the intermittent slowdown started therefore I can't claim any software upgrade during that time.

I'm getting increasingly frustrated with this. To be fair, I have an open ticket on this and spoke to a CS rep last night, who asked me to disconnect my ADSL modem and performed some (unspecified) tests on my line, then called me back and said he was going to escalate the ticket and place a note on it stating what he'd done. He didn't and no further action took place until I called back today. I don't expect instant action but I do expect commitments to be kept when they are made.

Anyways, can anyone suggest where I can look and what for (e.g. rogue code, hardware settings), basically anything that might explain the symptoms reported?

If you do have a suggestion, please email me at adsl@jeremyrussell.co.uk as well as replying here - it's taking me so damn long to get to check PN forums that I might never see an answer otherwise.

Thanks in advance ...
27 REPLIES
N/A

you are not alone. since I joined this isp on monday it has been slower than the 1mb connection I had with pipex. This is supost to be 2MB. Freedom2surf seems a better option.
N/A

Hi jeremy,

If the BT speed tests show slow speeds then the problem lies either with your local set up or more likely with your line or exchange.

Although the exchange checker shows green, BT are notoriously slow at upgrading that information.

BT have upgraded millions of users to 2mb without ensuring that their infrastructure could actually deliver. The system is now groaning at the seams and problems such as yours are becoming common.

Whilst I cant comment on the CS agents actions last night, or lack of, work with PN and they will get BT to resolve this, though you may have a wait as BT are inundated with faults.

@justinahmed

Have you tried the BT speedtester and if so what results di it produce?
Community Veteran

I thought the 2mb upgrades were part of a bigger scheme to upgrade the network as a whole. Or so Phillip keeps saying...
N/A

Probably in the longer view. But the system is not and can not at present, in many cases cope. That much is evident and iirc has been mentioned by Phillip and others.
N/A

I had a similar issue and discussed this with plus net support. They gave me the BT server test that is available. It took me 2 hours to do all the testing but it pin pointed the issues were with BT etc. This was then submitted to Plus net support and they escalated it with BT. It was then sorted out and i must admit the support from Plus Net was first class. The ISP always takes the blame of course but when re selling services on a network out of your network this will always be the case..........life of a service provider.........But then as a customer expect to do some trouble shooting as it will solve the issue faster and help Plus Net sort you out faster. After all you dont pay them for the network in your house or the BT line to your exchange do you?

Good Luck
N/A

Well, at 1:00am, Sunday morning the speed I'm getting seems fine. BT Speed test reported:

"The speed test has completed on test server speedtester1.nat.bt.com for user XXXXXXXXXXX and you have downloaded a 1.7Mb file at a speed of 1915 kilo bits per second (Kbps), your service bandwidth will have been quoted to you in kilo bits per second."

I took a screen dump and updated my ticket for PN's benefit. Here's hoping this was a temporary glitch but I'm kind of expecting a slower speed in the morning.

@justinahmed
I've not experienced any problems with PN on this magnitude in the past three years. My connection speed since upgrading to 2MB in April has been fine.

@pcsni
Yep, as above, it was fine tonight. Previous tests showed 167 Kbps as a low, which is obviously not acceptable on a 2MB connection. I do appreciate that if there is a fault, it may lie in the BT Network, but since I pay my money to PN, they're the only ones I can talk to about this, I guess. Will PN and therefore BT be happy to wait for their monthly payments? Somehow, I suspect not ...

@uplinkservices
All your points understood - I've been in the software industry for 30+ years and appreciate the nuances of your comment. I will work with PlusNet and I'm about to call them now (1:11am) since that's what they've asked on the ticket that I have open. So long as everyone keeps to their commitments, then happy customers will result. But it's when it all goes wrong that the kind of antagonism in some of the forums will tend to proliferate!

If I could type (or dial) with crossed fingers, then I would. But I can't type and talk simultaneously, so priority must be given to calling support ...

Later.
N/A

Made a few more calls to PN; speed is still abysmal, to the point where BT SpeedTests don't complete within a 20 minute 'held in a queue' period for phoning support.

I was advised to check my MTU settings; can anyone give me any info on how to that for a DSL-504 broadband router? I can't see the settings in my router, the manual has gone AWOL and I can't get to D-Link's support site to download another copy, cos it's a PDF document and that's not really downloadable right now.

Chicken? Egg? Yep, for sure ...
N/A

Hi,

I have the same router, and I'm pretty certain the MTU can't be set on it. Instead it would be set on your local PC. Try opening up Dr TCP and see what values it gives (it retrieves your current MTU setting when you open it). Make sure you select the right adaptor from the drop down list too.
N/A

Yeayyy! I'm getting to see websites again!!

@eurotrain

I tried that - and DRTcp isnot showing any values for the following:

TCP Receive Window
Max. Duplicate ACKs
TTL
Dial Up (RAS) MTU

MTU on my wireless card is blank and all other values are 'Default'.

Any idea what the 'approved' settings ought to be?
N/A

I'd recommend Kitz's site. It has a lot of information on tweaking, aswell as user-recommended settings.
N/A

Cheers, Chris - right now, pre-tweaking, stuff seems to be working fine, but I suspect tomorrow will be another story. I guess it's possible that someone flicked a switch at PN but they've not let me know that as yet.

I'm glad I stopped myself spending £90 on a new integrated router/modem at PC World at 15:55 just before they closed tonight ...
N/A

Have you tried upgrading the firmware on the router? The dsl-504's a pretty good piece of kit (for a home user), but mine had quite a few problems before I upgraded.
N/A

Nope; I did try once but I forget now why it was a problem. I've looked again (yesterday) at D-Link's site and the router now isn't supported any more. I've got it connected to a NetGear wireless access point; for my £90, I can get an integrated router/access point and might well do that tomorrow anyways.

For tonight, I'm going to enjoy the probable final sunny evening this year, fire up the BBQ and do a week's worth of grilling for the freezer. Stuff the Internet ... perhaps I *can* live without it?

Cheers

JR
N/A

BBQ over; MTU settings tweaked; speed down to 114 kbps as per BT SpeedTester; no further comment from PN on my open ticket, despite their stated intention to respond this evening.

Admittedly the evening technically might not be over, but I'm not holding my breath any more for a reply tonight.

Other suggestions gratefully accepted ...

Thanks