cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intermittant disconnection problem solved.

DrSeeAll
Grafter

For months I've been having intermittant disconnection/loss of sync problems.
PlusNet said everything OK at their end. BT said everything OK at there end. This meant the problem lay with me. The problem was trying to find it as it was only intermittant. I had already done all the tests in the FAQ.

Anyway to cut a long story short, I got a BT engineer friend of mine to come around with his laptop and we tested all four extensions in the house. It turns out that a Cable and Wireless smart socket on one of the extensions was introducing an intermittant loop, just sufficient to cause occasional problems with BB, but not bad enough to cause problems with voice or standard dial-up.

The moral. If anyone else has connection problems and Cable and Wireless switch boxes - check them out!

HTH somebody
3 REPLIES
N/A

The moral here is also that BT are only responsible up to the master socket in your house. Any extensions or whatever inside your house are your responsibility, even if BT fitted them in the first place (subject to warrantees of workmanship etc).
For this reason, one of the first trouble shooting tips is to plug directly into the master socket.

Anyhow, glad you got it sorted.
DrSeeAll
Grafter

Hi
Naturally it worked fine when plugged into the master socket.
The problem was trying to identify where the fault was within the house, with four extensions and an INTERMITTANT fault.
I've not read anywhere that the C&W boxes could be a source of trouble. The purpose of my post was to draw people's attention to this.
Cheers
N/A

Likewise, and good of you to share your experiences.