cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intermittant ADSL Disconnect & Synch Problems

N/A

From trawling through the forums on here ---don't think I'm alone on this one ....

I have had ADSL installed since Feb of this year, and after the initial problems around synching were sorted I have had no problems since then .... however since the start of Sept I have had loads of problems with the synch connection to the network ..... there is no pattern to it .... sometimes it works and sometimes it just wont have it. Sometimes it connects within seconds (and is fine), sometimes it simply won't connect, sometimes it drops out and comes back straight away and sometimes it simply won't come back at all !!!! (longest has been 2 days)

I have the supplied Plusnet Self Install Bundle / with Connexant Accessrunner PCI ADSl - running under XP. From reading the forum responses there seems to be a problem with connexant and XP, however I've downloaded the latest drivers etc .... no change.

Anyone got any suggestions ? Would I get any improvement by binning the PCI card and going for an external router/modem solution ?

I've raised a call with plusnet - who've advised that my telephone line has deteriorated and that should I wish fo BT to check it out - theres a distinct chance that they'll say its unsupportable and disconnect the service ... mmm not good.

It may be a coinceidence ( though I don't believe in them !) that the problems appeared to start when BT were doing some work on the exchange/box on estate ......

Some additional info ... to give u an idea of the problem -

On Friday 10/10

17:15 - 18:45 : Everything connected and working OK
18:45 : Line dropped out and wasn't able to connect again until 22:45

Saturday 11/10

10:25 - 13:30 : Connected first time - no problems.

I even rebooted then stopped and started the ADSL link via the panel, no problems whatsover.

:?

It all seems wierd .... cos there's no pattern ...... if anyone can shed any light on this one .... i'd be grateful.

:? :?:
31 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Changing tha ADSL PCI card for a router will probably not show any improvement. It's the USB ones that often case dropouts due to lack of power supplied by the Motherboard.

I suspect you may be correct with your "Coincidence" and the work carriaed out in the cabinet nearby?
Have you any way of measuring the line loss? Some ADSL modems have an option to show you the line conditions, Loss and Signal to noise etc, but I am not familiar with the one you have so can't say if thats available with that one.

Are there any signs of noise on the line when you are using the phone. Often this is a good guide to the fact the line has some sort of fault.

On another topic can you reduce the size of the Avatar you are using?
It is slightly over the dimensions allowed which are 80 x 80 pixels and way over the file size limits of 10k max.
Yours is over 24k.
This makes it take ages to load for people on dial up.
N/A

Cheers John,

From the MOdem panel .... the only info I can manage to tie in to what plusnet have fed back is from the layer statistics ....

.....................................................UP........................................... DOWN

Noise Margin.........................+12.0db ......................................+9.2db

Attenuation.............................+ 31.5db.....................................+ 64.0db

which ties in with their Woosh test results ..... and yes there can be noise when I'm using the telephone.

PS have removed the avatar Smiley
Community Veteran

Are the figures you are posting the current ones? If so you attenuation downstream looks very high at 64dbs and could well be the cause of your problems.
There have been tests to see if 60dbs will work and I believe that they have proved that it will, but 64 dbs is over that limit.
What a lot of people don't realize is that 3db's represents a reduction of 1/2 of the original signal. So if your is 64db then you are actually receiving less than half the signal strength than you would if it was 60db.
I realy think that you need to get the line checked out.
It must have passed the original tests by BT for you to have been connected in the first place so in my view it has developed a fault.

On the Avatar question. There is no need to remove it completely? Just reduce the file size to get it within the 10k limit and it will be ok.
N/A

the figure 64 db taken from the modem software would be a figure of 60 db on the whoos test , you add about 4 db when testing with the modem software, so i was told. but still he is on the outer limits , at my old address i had 58 to 61 db figures and would lose sync quite regually ,now with 48 db ( through modem software) i have never lost sync yet, and im on the same exchange.with the same PC , modem etc.

just wish i could get SDSL...

just noticed his noise marging figure that is a bit low imo when i had a figure of 15 db and below i started getting crc errors and i noticed at my old address that it would lose sync easier. Reducing the lenth of line to the modem ( from the main socket) and also removing some extension cables helped increase the noise marging figure for me.
Community Veteran

just noticed his noise marging figure that is a bit low imo when i had a figure of 15 db and below i started getting crc errors and i noticed at my old address that it would lose sync easier. Reducing the lenth of line to the modem ( from the main socket) and also removing some extension cables helped increase the noise marging figure for me.

Yes agreed.
This figure is a ratio. i.e. the difference in db's between the signal and the noise.
The higher this figure the better and 15db is not good.
It all points I'm afraid to a fault on the line.
N/A

Thanks for your info. Have had BT out to check the line etc and they could not find any fault .... the chap who came out was most helpful and was sympathetic to the problems ..... however all he could advise that the problems are due to my distance from the exchange and the available bandwdidth during peak periods - which is probably the root cause ..... since the problems are more prevelant in the evenings.

Have also cheked with my next door neighbour - who is also on Plusnet ....

Checked his equipment and the results were as follows :

.....................................................UP........................................... DOWN

Noise Margin.........................+13.0db ......................................+11.5db

Attenuation.............................+ 31.5db.....................................+ 63.9db

which is not really that different to mine ..... mmm .. the plot thickens .... lol.

Only difference between his and my setup is that he uses a router solution where I use an ADSL PCI card ....... should / could that make a difference ?

If anyone has any other ideas / inputs - Id be grateful .... though looks as though I'll just have to live with it until BT develop a technology that permits increased noise levels.

cheers
Dave
N/A

Its not that he's using a router as opposed to a PCI card its probably the
quality / condition of your particular PCI card. A lot of people have had
problems with it similar to yours and have resolved them by changing.
Replacing it for a PCI card or USB Modem such as the new ones from
speedtouch UK or a router from the likes of Netgear should yield an
improvement.
How nice is that neighbour of yours - Borrow the router perhaps?
N/A

Sounds like a good idea .... will give it a try ,,,, before any further investment .... lol
N/A

Well .... I borrowed my next door neighbours router & connected it up .... alas it did not work .... even although his was working fine just before he disconnected it and mine wasn't. Well at least I won't be wasting any more money .... looks like I'll have to put up with the intermittant problems until either BT make some changes or I can get reliable broadband some other way ... in both cases I shan't be holding my breath !!

thanks for the info

Dave Mcleod
N/A

This might sound like a really daft question ,,,,, but in the light of the problems I have highlighted on here .... and the intermittant nature of the fault ... and the fact that the problems only started in the last month or so ... after having months of uninterrupted service......

My question is this .....

Is it even remotely possible that someone else in my area has taken on Broadband and that somehow when they are using the service ... it conflicts with me and hence the reason that I cannot get line synch and if this is possible - what on earth can I do about .... bearing in mind BT's response.

If anyone can help shed any light --- I'd be grateful .... cos I'm now at the point where I think I'll have to pack in broadband ... cos it's becoming a right pain .... and all BT can offer is that I'm too far away and that I shouldn't really have it ....

PS neighbour is only 10 feet away from me ... he has no probs... I would not have thought that that could make any difference.

Dave Mcleod
N/A

A few points here.

As a upcoming FAQ entry will show, it is required that your line be connected to a uniqie port on the DSLAM equipment at the exchange.

The fact your niegbour is OK and you are not is also proof of the nature of ADSL.

Whilst you could be around the corner from the exchange and have loads of trouble, others users further away might not. Line quality is most of the problem.

Unless you can convince BT that the line problem is also affecting your voice portion of the service, there is likely little more they can do other than say you are too far away.
HepaT1c
Dabbler

There's another thread around here with posts from aload of other people with exactly the same problems, ALL using the PCI modem. BT can't give me the excuse of too far away from the nearest box as it's barly 40ft away from my house. It's only started for all of us in the last month or so, so it seems less and less like a coincidence and more a network issue somwhere. Is there anything that either PlusNet or BT have done that might be adversly affecting the PCI modems?

Mine has actually been OK for the last few nights, but i'm investing in a router to possibly help with connections (as it doesn't rely on the system resources of my PC) and also so i can network my PS2. I'm gonna also talk to my uncle who is a BT engineer to see if he has inside info on the problems...
N/A

If you are loosing sync, then I am almost posative it is not a PlusNet problem.

BT control your ADSL connection upto and beyond the point where your connection has to sync to. PlusNet is long after this point.

Thus, loosing sync is between you and the BT eqipment. However, you do have to go through PlusNet to get the engineer out to look at this.

Having a Green cabinet or box on your road is not the point where you ADSL syncs to. Exchanges are very large buildings (even the smaller ones) usualy at least twice the size of a house.

Those green cabinets are usualy where clusters of cables from poles are split into a much larger truck cable back to the exchange. You and your neighbour could be on different trucks and ultimatly, this is where the problem may reside.

If you are borderline on the limits of line length / quality, there is, as noted previously, little you can do unless your voice line is affected to..
ForeverArsenal
Grafter

Re: Intermittant ADSL Disconnect & Synch Problems

From trawling through the forums on here ---don't think I'm alone on this one ....

It may be a coinceidence ( though I don't believe in them !) that the problems appeared to start when BT were doing some work on the exchange/box on estate ......

It all seems wierd .... cos there's no pattern ...... if anyone can shed any light on this one .... i'd be grateful.

:? :?:

Hi
I've been reading though your posts and the sentence above could indeed
be part of the problem, I also noticed in one of your other posts that you
sometimes have noise on the line while using the telephone.

Assuming that you are using good quality filters??.

I think you should pay attention while using the telephone for voice calls
and listen carefully for noise on the line,do quiet line tests (17070)wait,then press 2

The reason for the above,after living at the same address for 22+yrs and having no line troubles at all, BT in their wisdom and unknown to at the time
DAC's my line (I was on dial-up at time).After several weeks of gentle persuasion I got it removed,what followed was four months of intermittent
noise on the line,caused by BT messing with the wires at the pole/box.

Some days line was crystal clear,others times constant crackle on the line
could connect to the net and use fine then suddenly would be cut off and unable to connect until noise cleared again,or could connect with very slow connection.

It took, believe or not some four months and eight different BT engineers
before they managed to cure it,been fine since (touching wood).

So if your problems have appeared since BT working nearby I would be
very suspicious,they often bugger more up than they fix.

Pick the phone up often and listen for noise,do quiet line tests, if intermittent
as mine was it can be a job to catch//cure but at least if you do have noise you can then get BT on the case and thats when the fun really starts.

DO make sure you have GOOD filters.

Best of luck
Barry