Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Interleaving off experiences

fotobits
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Following the turning off of interleaving, my download speeds have increased from about 6,300Kbps to 6,900Kbps and the ping test shows about 14ms instead of 40ms.

My DG814 does not provide much data but syncs at 8128/448 consistently. PlusNet's connection speed is 7,000Kbps.

However, surfing has become a slower process and often some pages fail to fully download.

I guess this is due to dropped packages as other tests seem to record some package dropping.

I have experimented with trying different MTU/RWin settings, but no noticeable changes are observed.

Are these findings predictable and supportive of the recommendation by +Net to leave interleaving "on?"

Regards....Noel
8 REPLIES
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 159

I've just done a quick test of your line, the stats are remarkably similar to my personal line apart from your line is throwing a few errors in there.
I've also just checked your latest delta reports, these still show interleaving as ON.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Help Team
fotobits
Rising Star

Thank you for your trouble, Chris.

At my request, I understood that interleaving was turned off on 20 June, ref 1-lZSS42. Since then my has router indicated that it's off, too, ie Connect mode is "Fast mode." Previously it indicated "Interleaving on."

How very odd! Forgive me, Chris, but are you certain?

You have similar stats on your line, Chris, do you have Interleaving "off" or is it an incorrect thing to do?

Regards and thanks.........Noel
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

I have interleaving off on my line, I only turned it off last week so it is really too early to tell whether I will run into problems.

The last delta report in the BT system is showing interleaving as on, however as this was back on the 21st June it is likely it has been turned off since. I've just done another line test and it shows interleaving as Auto, which really doesn't help!

The slower browsing speed is strange, is this at all times of the day or more specific periods?
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Help Team
fotobits
Rising Star

Thanks again, Chris.

As you say, "auto" interleaving doesn't help. However, I think it must be "off," as indicated by my router.

I think that slower browsing is throughout the day, however, I don't want to have interleaving turned "on" again until I'm sure of the position. Hence this query.

Currently, each morning, I turn-off/turn-on my router.

Incidentally, my MTU/RWin are 1478/76,214.

Perhaps, Chris, you could share your personal findings and comments on this thread, as your line is similar to mine.

Regards.....Noel
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Hi Noel,

I should get chance to do some browsing tomorrow and I will come back and post my findings on how it compares with interleaving off.
Until then obviously I can't really comment or speculate on how it performs.
I'll also check my MTU and RWin settings and post them up too.
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Help Team
Loon
Grafter

Hi Noel

I have also just had interleaving turned off. Like yours my ping has dropped to 15ms but I have noticed no differnce while surfing. My router seems to hold a steady sync speed of just under 5000 and my profile is slowy getting up to it.
Other than that nothing to report I'm afraid.

Rob
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Browsing is just as good as ever, gaming is giving me slightly lower pings too.

Unfortunately I haven't checked my MTU or rWIN yet, but IIRC these are still at the defaults as I haven't changed them at all.
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Help Team
N/A

Hi Noel
I have had interleaving off for some considerable time now. In my opinion, interleaving doesn't solve anything. It just spreads the errors around and lets you live with them it they are not too great.
I can sync at 8200kbps with an SNR of 6Db. At this sync speed, however, the errors reduce internet connection speed and can prevent internet connection completely.
To overcome this, I increase the SNR to ca. 11Db which reduces the sync speed to ca 6500kbps. At this level, I have a steady internet connection with reasonably good speeds.
Bytheway I am on the RIN trial.
Fred