cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Interleaving-not 'on' or 'off' but 'auto'

N/A

I asked the following today via a ticket:
"I believe that Interleaving is ‘on’ on my line.
Can you confirm if my assumption is correct or not please.
From http://speedtester.bt.com/ I get:
Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
IP profile for your line is - 6500 kbps
DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM) 7616 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 5421 kbps

From my router I get:
near-end interleaved channel bit rate: 7616 kbps
near-end fast channel bit rate: 0 kbps
far-end interleaved channel bit rate: 448 kbps
far-end fast channel bit rate: 0 kbps

noise margin upstream: 19.0 db
output power downstream: 20.0 dbm
attenuation upstream: 11.0 db

noise margin downstream: 11.5 db
output power upstream: 0.0 dbm
attenuation downstream: 17.0 db

near-end FEC error fast: 0
near-end FEC error interleaved: 0
near-end CRC error fast: 0
near-end CRC error interleaved: 0
near-end HEC error fast: 0
near-end HEC error interleaved: 0
far-end FEC error fast: 0
far-end FEC error interleaved: 0
far-end CRC error fast: 0
far-end CRC error interleaved: 0
far-end HEC error fast: 0
far-end HEC error interleaved: 0
Error second in 15min : 0
Error second in 24hr : 0
Error second after power-up : 0

All I need in a reply is either "Yes, Interleaving is on" or "No, Interleaving is not on" "

This is what I got in reply:
"Dear Mr ****,
Interleaving is set to the default level of "auto"

Regards,
Name of support member"

May I please ask the experts here what on earth is 'auto'; is it 'on', 'off' or some other state?
May I also ask, with my stats, would it be worth requesting in to be changed to a proper 'off' state?

Thank you. I look forward to some replies that are straight, to the point and not speaking double dutch.
4 REPLIES
hitachi
Grafter

Auto is off, unless bt see a line problem in which case it is automaticaly turned on.
N/A

So what you're telling me is that it is an automatic process, if line is good, it is off, if it is bad, it is on, if it goes from bad to good it automatically switches, if it goes from good to bad it switches?

I doubt this is the case though.
I believe my line etc is good, so dare I ask for it to be switched off?
pepsi_max2k
Grafter

BT actually have three choices of what state to set interleaving at for a line, that being "On", "Off" and "Auto". The first two are pretty obvious, and the Auto method lets the systems in the exchange detect which methods are best for the line (which I guess depends on how many errors are being seen).

Your modem stats seem to suggest your line is interleaved (the "near-end interleaved channel bit rate: 7616 kbps" bit) and the fact it's on auto and a MaxDSL connection (most of them have interleaving applied rather than not).

Unless you've got a specific reason not to want interleaving applied (gaming ping rates mainly) then I'd keep it at that.

I just had interleaving removed from mine and although pings within games have improved slightly, the actual speed has been almost halfed (sync rate dropped from up to 4700 kbps to under 3500 kbps, dropping the profile from 4000k to 2500k). I also saw my noise margin increase by 6 db (the lower the margin, the faster the speed) and i'm not too sure if this will go down again if I get interleaving re-applied. The end result is that I barely notice the improvement in gaming (if at all) and everything else has slowed down quite a bit (though with PN's current Broadband Plus product problems, stuffs so slow that frankly I don't know what's PN's fault and what's not).

With a 6500 profile i'd hate to see that halfed if you had interleaving removed. That said, if those error stats from your modem were true (not that that's likely, it seems pretty unlikely that you really have 0 errors) then removing interleaving might not cause any downsides. But I don't believe em, so I'd expect at least some kind of reduction in speed if you had interleaving removed, and I'm not too sure how easy it would be to get the speed back if you needed interleaving re-applied.
N/A

Thank you yorkfriend, that was most interesting and informative and certainly far more speedy a reply than going through the customer support ticket route.
Just out of interest as I have no idea about the error issue, I did telnet into router again and got this:
Copyright (c) 1994 - 2003 ZyXEL Communications Corp.
ras> wan adsl perfdata
near-end FEC error fast: 0
near-end FEC error interleaved: 4
near-end CRC error fast: 0
near-end CRC error interleaved: 0
near-end HEC error fast: 0
near-end HEC error interleaved: 0
far-end FEC error fast: 0
far-end FEC error interleaved: 0
far-end CRC error fast: 0
far-end CRC error interleaved: 0
far-end HEC error fast: 0
far-end HEC error interleaved: 0
Error second in 15min : 0
Error second in 24hr : 0
Error second after power-up : 0
ras>

Makes no sense at all to me, but just thought you may be curious if I posted anoher set of results.
Many thanks again.
Oh, I will probably just leave things just as they are.