Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Interference?

dsmail
Grafter

Interference?

Hi,

Just signed up to Plusnet and got up and running with no problems except one. I'm using the filters/splitters that came with the USB modem and have closely studied the helpfull guide on this forum about installing them correctly in the right order etc, but still find I get a low level but high pitched tone when using the phone for normal phone calls. If I disconnect from adsl during the call, the tone goes away. Also, the level I hear on the phone appears to drop slightly as well whilst online (no, my hearing isn't on the way out!) Are these normal and to be expected with combined adsl and normal phone data passing through the same line at the same time even with filters? Does the filter / splitter only reduce the interference, or should it eliminate it completely?

Any thoughts?

Dave
9 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Interference?

A good filter should leave you with a clear line.
I suspect that the one(s) you have are pretty low quality or defective in some way.
You can get some very decent ons for about a fiver so I would suggest trying one of those.
Or if you know anyone who has one you could try, then see if they will oblige you by letting you borrow one.
dsmail
Grafter

Interference?

The ones I have are new and came with a Zoom USB modem. So, not exactly a cheap unknown brand. But yes, I shall experiment with alternatives and strive for that "clear line" as you say.

Thanks

Dave
Community Veteran

Interference?

I didn't ask what sort of phone you are using but it may also be worth trying a different one just to see if it makes any difference.
Some of the modern phones that have electronic circuitry in them can be affected by the higher ADSL frequencies. (even with good filters)

For example I have a caller display in one of my phones that only works when the ADSL router is turned off. Yet a separate caller display unit works fine all of the time.
dsmail
Grafter

Interference?

No fear of that in our house, in fact, almost the opposite! Main phone is about 5 years old and other is more like 25 years, old analogue finger in circle to dial...wife likes it....it has been updated but has the same symptons as the newer phone whilst connected to adsl. Perhaps I'll stick with filter / splitter quality to start with.

Dave
N/A

Interference?

Have a look at the Speedtouch filter.
It's a good quality filter and also claims to be compatible,
with caller ID phones, well mine seem to work. Smiley
Alec
dsmail
Grafter

Interference?

Thanks for the tip. I'll take a look.

Dave
Community Veteran

Interference?

Do let us know how you go on Dave. I'm sure that when you find the cure it will be of interest to many users of the forum Wink
BoneMan
Grafter

Interference?

Dsmail - However, don't completely discount your line Shocked. A good friend of mine had a v. similar problem to you and after exhausting all the "filter" tests, got on to BT and they acknowledged it was a line fault and did something about it. However, it was a new installation on a "just enabled" exchange and he is/was with BTOW Wink . My cynicism Shocked makes me wonder if BT would have been so diligent if it had been another ISP.

Regards,

BoneMan
dsmail
Grafter

Interference?

Good Point. Interesting. Certainly possibly a saving of the cost of trying endless brands of filters/spllitters.

Thanks

Dave