cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installation Timeline

N/A

Installation Timeline

BT announced about a month ago our local exchange would be enabled on 29th July. On hearing the announcement, I created a plusnet account, and signed up for the home package at £21.99, not including a modem. I'm just wondering what will be the running order of things so I can sort out purchasing a router - will my line be enabled on that day, or will I have to wait 7-10 days after that. If the BT checker says I'll be able to get a 512K connection, is there much doubt in that? I'm about 2.5 miles from my local exchange. I've currently got a satellite connection, but the billing period is from 13th of each month, so I want to be sure I'm going to be able to get ADSL before cancelling my satellite and dialup ISPs (each requiring a month's notice) and ordering a router/modem.

Thanks

John
3 REPLIES
N/A

Installation Timeline

I doubt your connection will be enabled the moment BT enable broadband at your local exchange, in addition all lines must be tested before they will be activated.

You are well under the line length limit for ADSL, so unless you have a fault with your line, I don't see their being a problem. However BT's tests will confirm that your line is suitable.

Your best bet, is to watch the ADSL Tracker as this will give you an indication of how your ADSL line activation is progressing. It's not worth buying the router till the tracker says your line is now active.
Community Veteran

Installation Timeline

1) PlusNet cannot submit your order until the exchange goes live for ADSL. If there are any delays from BT then the order will also be delayed.

2) from the order being accepted, it takes 7 to 10 days before it is activated.

3) BT could in theory refuse your ADSL request right up to the time they activate your account. During the 10 days they will have tested your phone line several times and then fitted the necessary equipment in the exchange. If at any stange a problem is discovered it will either delay your activation or the order will be cancelled.

4) The BT checker is just a estimate/guide and there is no guarantee based on it's results. My test with BT says I can't actually have ADSL because I'm too far from the exchange - Yes, you've guessed it... I have had ADSL for over 2 year now!

5) I would not even consider buying any equipment until you have confirmation from BT/PlusNet that your line is activated and working. If you purchase before but then the order is canncelled you are left with equipment you can't use. Billing will not actually start until your are connected with a router/ADSL modem and most mail order places offer next day delivery. Basically if you purchase early you do so at your own risk as there is no compensation if your ADSL order fails.

6) Finnally, I would contact PlusNet and ask to be moved to the Broadband home premier 512k package as ADSL home has been discontinued. If you don't do this you may still be put on the old package and may have to pay a transfer fee to go onto the new products. There should be no problems changing your package before activation.
N/A

Installation Timeline

Thanks, looks like I'll have to put my shopping on hold until I get the nod the line's been activated.

John