Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Install- modem frustration

Luzern
Pro
Fixes: 2

Cry Well it's enough to make you!
I have a Binatone ASDL500 modem and I dread having to do a reinstall. It seems that I will have to attempt about 10 times or more. It doesn't seem to mmatter if I leave the computer end, the modem end or both diconnected at the start of the process of installing the two elements, but when I have followed the instructions to connect, the mext moment I get a dialog boc appearing from the Msoft hardware Installation Wizard telling me
that an error has occured and the item is marled for deetion.

So its abort the install and start again and again until sucess.

What is wrong or what am I doing wrong?

FWIW XP Home SP2
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
8 REPLIES
Community Veteran

That is an old modem that was produced before XP SP2 and there are problems with installing it on SP2 due to the drivers not being 100% compatible.

To be honest you are batter off going out and buying a router and connect it via Ethernet - if you don't have a network card or EThernet port a PCI network card is only £5. You can get a router for less than £40 now and will also give you more reliability and in many cases a faster connection if on Max.
Isitme
Grafter

I agree with Peter, however in the meantime there are drivers available on Driverguide which may help. You will have to register to download but it is free.

http://members.driverguide.com/driver/detail.php?driverid=487878#comments

They are dated July 2004, so should cover Sp2.

I must say it is a change to see a post which is not moaning about speed Smiley
Luzern
Pro

I agree with Peter, however in the meantime there are drivers available on Driverguide which may help. You will have to register to download but it is free.

http://members.driverguide.com/driver/detail.php?driverid=487878#comments

They are dated July 2004, so should cover Sp2.

I must say it is a change to see a post which is not moaning about speed Smiley
Not much point really as apparently I'm on a 1000 Maximum stable rate connection Cheesy
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Isitme
Grafter

Have you checked the modem driver?
Luzern
Pro

Have you checked the modem driver?

Huh? as all is worhing now! Cheesy

I tried dealing with the site you mentioned but it has given me a lot of problems and feedback just generates an auto reply, that they cannot answer individual queries and your feedback is important to them :twisted:

To save increased BP it does seem another modem or router might be a good spend, if SWMBO sanctions it. Is there anything in particular that I should look for, compatibilty issues with plusnet etc, any recommends?
Luzern
Pro

bump Smiley Smiley Smiley
Community Veteran

A quick search on these forum will always bring up router recommendations.

See this thread;
http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=53760

And its not often that you will see me recommend thinkbroardband, but they have some very good and comprehensive router review. Unfortunately many are out of date.
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/reviews.html
And they do not appear to have added any after 2005

Chilly
N/A

To save increased BP it does seem another modem or router might be a good spend, if SWMBO sanctions it. Is there anything in particular that I should look for, compatibilty issues with plusnet etc, any recommends?

I used an Binatone ADSL500 modem (Plusnet supplied Dec 2003) on Win XP2 for a couple of years without any problems - I did find though, that there was a stage in the installation where the paper instructions tell you to ignor the Windows pop-up, but I found quite the opposite, in that you actually had to press O.K. in the Windows pop-up or otherwise the installation would hang waiting almost indefinately.

There are pros and cons to routers - I wouldn't rush to buy one unless you really need to - there's a lot to be said for the simplicity and straightforwardness of a USB modem if you are only connecting the one PC.

If you really want to try a different modem, then you can pick up a Speedtouch 330 USB modem for around £5 on ebay any day of the week, as they are standard issue by dozens of ISPs - I've used one recently to connect to PlusNet.

If you'd rather not bother with eBay then I would happily send you a Speedtouch 330 USB (inc' two speedtouch splitter/filters) for £5 + £1.5 p&p as I've currently got two not being used. Let me know if you (or anyone) are interested.

Mark H.