cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Initial Connection Problems

stevie
Grafter

Wonder if someone can advise if my setup is ok?

When I'm on the net and connected then all is well. The problem I have at the moment is the length of time it takes for the ADSL to sync (i.e. to go from a flashing green light to a solid green light). Once I get that solid light then there are no problems but the length of time it takes for that to happen can vary from 20 minutes upwards. Sometimes I can't get a solid light and have to reboot a few times before it works (also waiting the 20 minutes after each reboot).

I have a master socket which has an extension running from it (the extension wire runs from behind the plate). I have a splitter in the master socket as this is where my main phone plugs in.

The extension ends in a socket upstairs which has a double connector plugged into it. One goes to my phone in the bedroom (currently disconnected) and one goes into my computer room. The other splitter is plugged into this extension lead and the modem connected here. (Phew! )

Is anything about this setup causing my sync issue or does this all sound feasible?

Thanks for any responses.
4 REPLIES
N/A

I think you have this wired incorrectly. The externsion from your main socket is a secondry extension. You need the splitter in your main socket, your phone connected to this, and then your computer connected to the ADSL side of this splitter, ignore the extension, The main point is that the computer should be connected straight from the main socket via the ADSL side of the splitter. So you will have to do without the upstairs phone, unless you put a double connector in the splitter and run a seperate extension from that to the upstairs phone. I hope this sounds clear

Ken
N/A

Just further from my last post. The way we have it is an extension from the main socket, at the end of this extension is the splitter, from this to the computer via ADSL slot, in the phone side of the splitter is a double connector which goes to our two phones.

ken
Community Veteran

Please refer to my tutorial on Wiring and Filters
This will explain to you exactly how to ensure your wiring is correct.

You can have the upstairs phone without having to run a seperate extension wire as mentioned above, as long as you conform with the rules in the tutorial.
stevie
Grafter

Thanks for all the replies. I removed my upstairs phone from the equation completely my disconnecting the extension lead and all is well. I'll experiment with filter placement to see if I can get it sorted.

Cheers.