cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Incorrect adsl router to line filter cable supplied! Genuin

N/A

Incorrect adsl router to line filter cable supplied! Genuin

After spending £130 for my connection hardware you would have thought they would have been able to ship the correct cable with the adsl router wouldn't you. Please tell me that this isn't the start of my second finger burning experience with Plusnet!

The filter has a RJ11 (adsl) and a standard phone socket on it (voice). The router has an RJ 11 socket on it for connection to the cable that goes to the filter. The cable has RJ11 on one end and a fixed stadard phone jack on the other.

There is no way I can even connect my router to the phone line let alone get a connection.

Now heres the best bit. I'm still on dial up and its taken me 15 minutes to try and get to a point on the "revolutionary contact system" where I can post the details of the problem. OK it works for some problems but I'm technically competant, I know what the problem is I just want them to send me a new cable, I know I'm not connected and the lights aren't flashing and its not plugged in and the switch isn't on. I can see the cable isn't even plugged in! It won't.

Here's hoping my next post will be praising Plusnet for their speedy response. I'm only 2 miles away from Insight's and Plusnet's offices offices. Do you think they'll send someone out with the correct cable?
--
Chris Johnson
IT Consultant
Sheffield
4 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Incorrect adsl router to line filter cable supplied! Ge

A couple of ideas:

- If you don't need to use the phone on that socket, just leave out the filter for now - and plug in directely to the BT socket.

- Contact PlusNet using the phone - for urgent issues it is a better option than the web interface.

Geoff
N/A

This is the standard way of supplying cabling in the UK, and I can assure you, you would have seen the following from other DSL suppliers in the UK.

Most people do no plug there routers or modems into a splitter, as it just isn't needed.

The ADSL socket on the filter, is exactly the same as pluggin the device right into the wall. No filtering takes place via this socket of any kind.

The filter is designed for your phone.

All filters (there are some exceptions) come with these two sockets, yet there is never any need.

Unless there is any genuine need to plug the router in via the splitter, just don't bother. However, having a modem and a phone at the same point, usualy means that you had a splitter in the first place, in which case, the router goes directly into this.

If you so wish, I have a BT supplied cable that I will never need again. This is from a BT install (for once, it is legal for me to give away. They gave it to me after a router brake down, nice of them).

For 28p (Stamped, self addressed envelope), I will send it to you.
N/A

Thanks for the offer but I've borrowed on from one of our laptop users until Plusnet ship one.

Just to add insult to injury not only is the supplied instuction sheet incorrect (wrong user name password to log in to the config utility and wrong default IP address for it) but the router now connected to my lan has stopped responding after I reconfigured it and put it inbetween our firewall and the outside world. Power cycle and reset switch make no difference!

--
Chris Johnson
IT Consultant
Sheffield
N/A

You are in Sheffield. PN are in Sheffield.