cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inconsistent Download Speeds

N/A

Help, I am a little confused. Just migrated from Virgin 512k ADSL where I was running pretty well flat out most of the time. Upgraded to 2MB Premier.

When I do a speed test, either ADSLGUIDE or PLUSNET I am getting speeds of around 1.8mbs which is fine. However if I download a file whether it be from a newsgroup, from the web or wherever I am averaging 175 kbps, almost a quarter of the Speed of Virgin. However If I try the same download at 3am then it increases to 1.8 mbps. being a premier customer I was aware the ratio was 30:1.

Finally my ecchange is due to be upgraded in August although I am not sure what effect this will have

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Regards

Jools
:?:
1 REPLY
N/A

Jools,

On an up to 2Mbps premier account you should indeed be seeing downloads from PN newsgoroups of approx. 1.8Mbps/230KBps. Have you checked you exchange using this link?

http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/

I had VP showing red since about March giving me a very poor download speed at times. It has just been fixed last week and now back up to the expected performance.

For your info. the contention ratio is 30:1 on PN network only, home users are on 50:1 contention on BT’s network.

Because you are getting the expected download speeds in the early hours it would suggest your home setup is OK. Have you got a wireless access point? If yes have you got it properly configured? i.e. you are only allowing known computers to access it etc. Otherwise a neighbour could be using your bandwidth.

Hope this helps

Steve