cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Incompatible product on line?

N/A

Hi,
I just moved house and have gone through the process with Plusnet to get reconnected. However, Plusnet are saying that BT reports there is an incompatible product on the line. When I call BT they say there isn't anything on the line that would prevent ADSL being ordered. At one point last wednesday Plusnet agreed and said they had put the order through again. But the order status didn't change and when I raised a ticket to query why the status hadn't changed on Friday, Plusnet are now saying there's an incompatible product on the line again.

I've been using plusnet broadband happily for 3 1/2 years but this is really starting to hack me off. A week and a half and the order still doesn't seem to be placed with BT yet to get me reconnected.

Has anybody else been through this loop? Any suggestions as to how to resolve this?

I'm getting close to just placing an order with another ISP to see if that makes a difference - and if Nildram didn't charge £3.50 per month for a static IP address (why?) I would have done so on Friday.

Cheers,
David
11 REPLIES
N/A

Normally an incompatable product may be DACS or ISDN....

Or if you a VERY unlucky you will have TPON (Fibre) you will be screwed. BT Wholsale will tell you until you actually place the order, to which Plusnet do on your behalf when you notify them of your new address.
Community Veteran

In your ticket you need to tll PN BT say there is nothing on the line and ask PN to ask BT to give them details of what the incompatible product is taht is stopping the ADSL order.

Until this is resolved, no ISP will be able to put ADSL on the line so looking at an alternative supplier will not solve the problem.
N/A

Peter,
I know that if there's a hitch with BT that switching providers won't make any difference (unless you switch to BT broadband - hence the conspiracy theories about this issue Wink ). But I already called BT and told plusnet that there's nothing on the line over a week ago. The reason I'm annoyed with plusnet is that this is the 2nd time round the loop and from the lack of activity it looks like they just let the problem sleep for a week after the first iteration of rejection / calling BT / telling plusnet the line's OK etc. I wouldn't be blaming plusnet if they had actually placed the order last wednesday like they said they had in the response to my original "BT says everything is OK" ticket.

The BT process is bad enough without plusnet dropping the ball too Sad

Cheers,
David
N/A

Re: Incompatible product on line?

Hi,
I just moved house and have gone through the process with Plusnet to get reconnected. However, Plusnet are saying that BT reports there is an incompatible product on the line. When I call BT they say there isn't anything on the line that would prevent ADSL being ordered. At one point last wednesday Plusnet agreed and said they had put the order through again. But the order status didn't change and when I raised a ticket to query why the status hadn't changed on Friday, Plusnet are now saying there's an incompatible product on the line again.

I've been using plusnet broadband happily for 3 1/2 years but this is really starting to hack me off. A week and a half and the order still doesn't seem to be placed with BT yet to get me reconnected.

Has anybody else been through this loop? Any suggestions as to how to resolve this?

I'm getting close to just placing an order with another ISP to see if that makes a difference - and if Nildram didn't charge £3.50 per month for a static IP address (why?) I would have done so on Friday.

Cheers,
David

I had the same obscure "Incompatible product" message when I moved house "With" PlusNet. That was over two years ago so they should be able to give you some idea of what the actual problem is.
In my case, the people who had the house before hadn't properly stopped their adsl account (perhaps just stopped paying).
Maybe you are in the same boat as I was?
It took weeks to sort out...

Regards

Martin
Fixes: 115

If you have just been given a new number try asking for another new number from BT.

I had a similar problem showing which was resolved when I was given a new number by BT due to another unrelated problem.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

N/A

Re: Incompatible product on line?

It took weeks to sort out...

Martin,

Was that because of BT or because PN took days to action your support ticket queries?

Still no joy here

Sad
shellsong
Grafter

Maybe your problem is unanswered tickets on the line-- or am I thinking of national rail? Tongue
jagger
Grafter

Leave it out........ :lol:
N/A

The good news is that my connection has been restored Smiley

The bad news is that it is running at less than 1M Sad

At my previous address I was getting speeds over 2M. The new address is connected to the same exchange and is about the same distance away, so I was expecting to get similar performance.

The speed check on adslguide.org.uk reports:
Downstream 819.9 Kbps ( = 0.8 Mbps )
Upstream 231.5 Kbps ( = 0.2 Mbps )

My router reports:
Up Stream 288 (Kbps.)
Down Stream 1152 (Kbps.)

Operation Data Upstream Downstream
Noise Margin 25 dB 27 dB
Attenuation 36 dB 27 dB

The line quality, noise and attenuation, look OK to me, so I don't think it's the line quality to blame.
:shock:
Community Veteran

What does the BT ADSL checker say the max your line will support (not the MaxDSL bit). If that only states 1Mb then that is the reason BT have only provisioned your new line at 1Mbs speeds.
N/A

Thanks for the BT checker URL.
The BT Checker says:

"Your exchange is ADSL enabled, and our initial test on your line indicates that your line should be able to have an ADSL broadband service that provides a line rate up to 2Mbps.

Our test also indicates that your line should be able to support a potential ADSL Max broadband line rate of 6Mbps up to 8Mbps.

The actual ADSL Max line rate supportable will be determined during the first 10 days of use, after which time the highest stable rate possible will be set."

So maybe the ADSL Max 10 day testing is underway, but why it's starting with 1M when the line will support at least 2M, who knows?

The thing that's annoying about the whole process is the lack of accurate information about the status. Which is probably as much, if not more, BT's fault than PN.

PN's Order Status tracker is still saying they can't place the order because there's an incompatible product on the line - even though clearly the order has been processed by BT!

More waiting and seeing I guess :roll: