cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Incompatible hub?

N/A

Incompatible hub?

I have just bought the router starter pack, but I can't get the Internet connection to work properly with my network of 2 PCs. When I connect the supplied cable to my Netgear Fe104 hub in port 4 with the Uplink button pushed in, I lose the connection to both the network and the Internet. The LAN light on the router is lit for 10 secs and then black for 10 secs.

I have tried:

the supplied cable connected directly from the router to the network card -> works, but then I have no network, so no good.

the supplied cable connected from the router to the hub with and without the uplink button pressed -> no light on the hub.

my network cables from the router to the hub with and without the uplink button pressed -> no light on the hub.

my network cables from the router to the network card -> doesn't work.

When I connect from the router to the hub, the router's LAN light is on for 10 seconds then off for 10 seconds and so on.

Is the Netgear FE104 incompatible with PPPoA or am I experiencing another problem?

Inge
8 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Incompatible hub?

I'm not 100% sure but I think the FE104 is a 4 port 100Mb/s (100 base-T) only hub rather than 10/100Mb/s (10/100 base-T). Many ethernet ADSL router LAN ports are 10Mb/s (10 base-T) only. This mis-match in ethernet speed could be your problem.

If this isn't clear, post again and I'll try to further explain.

Jon M

> I have just bought the router starter pack, but I can't get the Internet connection to work properly with my network of 2 PCs. When I connect the supplied cable to my Netgear Fe104 hub in port 4 with the Uplink button pushed in, I lose the connection to both the network and the Internet. The LAN light on the router is lit for 10 secs and then black for 10 secs.
>
> I have tried:
>
> the supplied cable connected directly from the router to the network card -> works, but then I have no network, so no good.
>
> the supplied cable connected from the router to the hub with and without the uplink button pressed -> no light on the hub.
>
> my network cables from the router to the hub with and without the uplink button pressed -> no light on the hub.
>
> my network cables from the router to the network card -> doesn't work.
>
> When I connect from the router to the hub, the router's LAN light is on for 10 seconds then off for 10 seconds and so on.
>
> Is the Netgear FE104 incompatible with PPPoA or am I experiencing another problem?
>
> Inge
>

N/A

> I'm not 100% sure but I think the FE104 is a 4 port 100Mb/s (100 base-T) only hub rather than 10/100Mb/s (10/100 base-T). Many ethernet ADSL router LAN ports are 10Mb/s (10 base-T) only. This mis-match in ethernet speed could be your problem.
>

Yes, it's the 4 port 100Base-TX hub. Is it oncompatible with the router from the PlusNet starter package?

Inge
N/A

If the router that comes from Plusnet has a 10base-TX LAN port then it will not be able to communicate with the hub if it is 100Base-TX only.

A 10Base-TX device will not be able to communicate with a 100Base-TX device and vice-versa. If the router LAN port is 10Base-TX then you will need either a 10Base-TX or a 10/100Base-TX (dual speed) hub. The DS104 from Netgear would work in this case.

I hope this helps!

Jon

> Yes, it's the 4 port 100Base-TX hub. Is it oncompatible with the router from the PlusNet starter package?
>
> Inge

N/A

> If the router that comes from Plusnet has a 10base-TX LAN port then it will not be able to communicate with the hub if it is 100Base-TX only.

The AR11 ADSL Router supplied in the starter pack has a 10 Base-T Ethernet port.
N/A

The NETGEAR FE104 has a 100 Base-T Ethernet interface, so it is incompatible with the AR11 ADSL Router.
N/A

> The NETGEAR FE104 has a 100 Base-T Ethernet interface, so it is incompatible with the AR11 ADSL Router.
>

So how come my network card, with a setting of 100BaseTX, is working connected directly to the router?

Inge

N/A

Your network card will most probably auto detect the ethernet speed. Most NICs are auto sensing between 10/100Base-TX

> So how come my network card, with a setting of 100BaseTX, is working connected directly to the router?
>
> Inge
>
>

N/A

> Your network card will most probably auto detect the ethernet speed. Most NICs are auto sensing between 10/100Base-TX
>
>
> > So how come my network card, with a setting of 100BaseTX, is working connected directly to the router?

Thanks to eyeryone for all the support. Will try to get a 10BaseT hub this weekend.

Inge