cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

'Incompatible BT service' on line

N/A

'Incompatible BT service' on line

Ordered 512k adsl from Plusnet 2 weeks ago - I was told that there was an incompatible BT service on my line. I have never had ADSL or ISDN or any other kind of service , that I know of. Getting this info. from BT is like trying to get blood from a stone !! I have a 56k dial up with Freeserve (HomeTime) , caller ID and thats all. Any ideas Huh
13 REPLIES
N/A

RE: 'Incompatible BT service' on line

> Ordered 512k adsl from Plusnet 2 weeks ago - I was told that there was an incompatible BT service on my line. I have never had ADSL or ISDN or any other kind of service , that I know of. Getting this info. from BT is like trying to get blood from a stone !! I have a 56k dial up with Freeserve (HomeTime) , caller ID and thats all. Any ideas Huh

-----------------------------------
Could be the caller ID is it.
____________________________________________-

N/A

RE: 'Incompatible BT service' on line

> > Ordered 512k adsl from Plusnet 2 weeks ago - I was told that there was an incompatible BT service on my line. I have never had ADSL or ISDN or any other kind of service , that I know of. Getting this info. from BT is like trying to get blood from a stone !! I have a 56k dial up with Freeserve (HomeTime) , caller ID and thats all. Any ideas Huh
>
> -----------------------------------
> Could be the caller ID is it.
> ____________________________________________-
>
>
I guess it could be , but surly if this was the case then every one in the country who has broad band on their BT line would have had to have cancled thier caller ID , etc. And im sure we would have heard about this..
N/A

RE: 'Incompatible BT service' on line

DO you have redcare on the line? DO you have any other alarm system that uses a call centre?

The best steps to take are the following.

Unplug all phoince, faxes, modems and any other telephony device from all your sockets.

Plug only a phone into the master socket.

Phone the BT fault line. The best place to do this, is from a phone box, it will make things simpler, and it's still free.

Gie them all the details, and that you have ordered DSL, which failed. Ask them for a instant line test, which can take upto 3 mins.

The operator will likely give you the all clear, or that some device is blocking the request. As if they know what device it is.

It is likely to be DACS or redcare.

If you are given the all clear, raise a ticket with +net, saying you have been given the all clear, and ask if the order can be pushed through manualy.

Try to keep only the "Must need" devices plugged in. IE, 1 modem, 1 phone. This will reduce the chances of a second failed test.

Sky boxes, caller ID units and some other, non statndard telephony devices (IE, not a phone) can cause these issues, while a BT test gives the all clear.

Once you are connected, so long as you have the slitters and filters int he right place, all should be fine to start using the devices once again.
N/A

RE: 'Incompatible BT service' on line

Hi,

For the sake of completeness, I've resubmitted your order to BT... We will know in a couple of hours what the outcome will be.

Unfortunately BT are not allowed to give us any data about your specific line (Due to the data protection act), so unless you can find out from them what could be causing this problem, we really are limited as to how much we can help. As a last resort we may be able to 'manually' place the order, which will mean ti is dealt with by humans at BT and so has a better chance of getting any problems resolved. This is a much slower process though, and will still fail if there really is something incompatible on your line.

I don't think this is CLI - I have that at home with my ADSL Connection and it works fine.

With Regards,

Ian Wild
PlusNet Customer Support
N/A

RE: 'Incompatible BT service' on line

> Hi,
>
> For the sake of completeness, I've resubmitted your order to BT... We will know in a couple of hours what the outcome will be.
>
> Unfortunately BT are not allowed to give us any data about your specific line (Due to the data protection act), so unless you can find out from them what could be causing this problem, we really are limited as to how much we can help. As a last resort we may be able to 'manually' place the order, which will mean ti is dealt with by humans at BT and so has a better chance of getting any problems resolved. This is a much slower process though, and will still fail if there really is something incompatible on your line.
>
> I don't think this is CLI - I have that at home with my ADSL Connection and it works fine.
>
> With Regards,
>
> Ian Wild
> PlusNet Customer Support



Thanks PLUSNET ,

The elderly lady whom I brought the house from 8 months ago lived alone and was quite ill and so I figure she had REDCARE or a similar service on the line .
Will try BT again tomorrow (if they can be bothered to answer the phone !) and let you know the outcome. Hopefully you can then push it through.

Thanks again.
N/A

RE: 'Incompatible BT service' on line

Jason

I moved house last month, to a place fifty metres from my old house. After a month, I still don't have my broadband connection restored because of this "incompatible rented product" excuse.

The real problem is that BT do everything they can to prevent you from finding out where the problem lies. You have to pick your way through a maze of multiple choice options when you call BT.When you get through after a long wait, you can't speak to any technically knowledgeable person. A variety of improbable explanations for the problem are offered, usually transferring responsibility back to the ISP. Guess what the ISP tells you?....

I have just two handsets and my modem on my line. The previous tenant assures me that no additional services have ever been connected. The same set-up worked fifty metres down the road.

The current interaction between BT and the ISPs does not work in favour of any customer with problems of this sort. We just can't get the service we need.

Plusnet is probably better than average when it comes to customer service, so God help any poor soul with an "uncaring" ISP!
N/A

RE: 'Incompatible BT service' on line

Colin, you fail to see the point of the BT tests.

They are unable to tell you what is on the line.

The tests provide basic information, including basic quality indiction, is the line is wired correctly, if a ringer is detected, and a few other things.

Depending on which one fails, and at which level, will usualy mark what the problem is, be it totaly undetectable line, or unable to process information past a certain point.

Most of the answers, can be due to multiple reasons, and as such, they can't give a definate answers.

They can only provide test results, and do not have access to any other than your account data.

Recare, DACS and a few other non-standard signaling technologies, all provide the same failure result. This is because the test can't progress beyond a certain part of there systems.

I would seriously contact BT again, asking if your line has DACS on it.

As for the system, where the ISP are unable to provide more details about a issue. This is all down to data protection.

This is somthing that can't be changed on a whole, and to do so would cause major legal issues for both BT and the ISPs.

It would be possible for an aggrement to be put in place, when a order is submitted for ADSL. However, this would make the process of activation even longer. Where a order is submitted, BT send out documentation about releasing details, and await a signed document from you, which must be verified.

This would add 2+ weeks onto the process.

I understand the furstration, however, they are legal hurdles that just don't work in favour of the situation.

I would contact +Net, and say you want to contact BT about the issue. They should be able to give you details of who and what you should be asking, to try and get more ifnromation about incompatable products.
N/A

RE: 'Incompatible BT service' on line

Phillip

Thanks for your reply. It is the first cogent explanation of the problem I have had in 3 weeks. Why haven't Plusnet or BT told me what I should do to resolve my problem? Both have kept me completely in the dark. Why hasn't Plusnet got a published procedure for "new connections" and "movers" to explain what should happen and common problems that might arise? Why isn't there a dedicated number that we can phone to discuss those problems with BT/ISPs? That is what I would call "service".

I don't even know what Redcare and DACS are, especially since, until now, I hadn't even been alerted to their existence. As a layman, I would assume that unplugging every device except the modem from the master socket would remove any incompatibilities.

It would seem from what you say that the customer is expected to find things out by a long, slow process of trial and error. You are the first person to shed some light on this matter for me, and you don't even work for Plusnet (or do you?)
N/A

RE: 'Incompatible BT service' on line

I am just an over active jerk that gets bored easily. And no, that doesn't mean I work for +Net (WINK)

Most of the information regarding this is available on www.adslguide.org.uk in the FAQ section.

I would strongly sugest a read of the site.

In simple terms, here is an explanation of incompabilities.

RedCare:

This is a system, most usualy used in alarm systems.

It allows a alarm system to be connected to a central control center, to alert them of the status of the system, be it fault, bettery low, no power, service, trigger, set, and can include information like the zone, the sensitivoty of the trigger, and a history of zones triggered (if only one zones goes off, it's usualy a false alarm).

Redcare can be used for many thigs, and not just alarms. Nurse call, and other single step signaling can be done, from remote locations.

While it may no longer be in use, the line may still be connected at the eachange side. This may be dificult to check, but BT should be able to help, if you say the line may have been connected before you arrived at the premesis.

DACS:

This is available on adslguide.org.uk (this site took it from there). However, please see this FAQ http://www.ja.net/development/network_access/adsl/technical.html#11

DACS allows more than one line to share a single set of copper wires. This is not like a PBAX, just a way to force two telephone likes down a single pair.

DACS has to be removed for ADSL to be provided.

I sugest searching reading the adslguide.org.uk forums, for other peoples experiences on getting it removed.

BT Fault line will discribe and tell you how to identify DACS.

I also thought about another item for the list. ADSL

Yes. If a previous install of ADSL was connected, BT may never have removed the line from the DSLAM. This will also turn up this issue. If you think this could be the case, +Net may be able to push it through manauly.

As for a single number from which to obtain these details.

1: See adslguide.org.uk

2: Use 100 from any BT phone. This is all BT and any other place will sugest. They will provide you with a number (and in most circumstances, connect you) to speak to somebody that can help in this department.

3: BT Fault line: They will help even quicker, by asking them who you should speak to, on obtaining the details about what your lines holds.
N/A

RE: 'Incompatible BT service' on line

This is now worrying me.. my claranet ADSL connection cease's tommorrow (7th May) so that I can go onto the 2mb +net connection.. I've got an ADT central monitored alarm system. I've had it installed for 6 years, I've had ADSL for about 2 years... I just hope that once I get disconnected, I don't have the same problem.. I've no doubt that if I do, saying "but I had ADSL before" will fall on deaf ears....
--
David Smith (Surrey)
N/A

RE: 'Incompatible BT service' on line

Too my knowledge, ADT use RedCare (I havn't looked up the specifics).

This makes things a little confusing, though not impossible. Some alarm system do use analogue signaling which is compatable.

The fact you have DSL from claranet, sugests that the alarm isn't an issue. Though, the DSL clears why you are having trouble. +Net can only put the request through the BT, after DSLAM disconnection has been confirmed.

You are best phoning Claranet tomorrow (infact, thursday is best) and confirming disconnection.

After you have confirmed this, phone +Net, and say that disconnection has been confirmed, but tests show as failed. Say that you have been advised a manual/human request should/would allow your connection to be put through.

Ian Wild should be able to give you more help on these steps.
N/A

RE: 'Incompatible BT service' on line

Actually, the only reason I have currently failed, is because I already have ADSL (I assume thats the reason anyway). Once my disconnection is confirmed, I will let plusnet re-check my line..

I have just rung ADT, I haven't got redcare. The type of signalling is called a "digital communicator". The service chap stated that it doesn't go by any other name and that he wasn't sure whether it was compatible with ADSL (although it must be, because I've got it).


--
David Smith (Surrey)
N/A

RE: 'Incompatible BT service' on line

> Too my knowledge, ADT use RedCare (I havn't looked up the specifics).
>
> This makes things a little confusing, though not impossible. Some alarm system do use analogue signaling which is compatable.
>
> The fact you have DSL from claranet, sugests that the alarm isn't an issue. Though, the DSL clears why you are having trouble. +Net can only put the request through the BT, after DSLAM disconnection has been confirmed.
>
> You are best phoning Claranet tomorrow (infact, thursday is best) and confirming disconnection.
>
> After you have confirmed this, phone +Net, and say that disconnection has been confirmed, but tests show as failed. Say that you have been advised a manual/human request should/would allow your connection to be put through.
>
> Ian Wild should be able to give you more help on these steps.



Thanks for all your replys and input guys ,

I finnaly got to speak to a young lady at BT ( she seemed to know what I was talking about) , she looked into the account and was insistant that there where no other services on my line apart for CLI and witheld number/ex-directory.
I also did a little investigation of my own and have discovered I am only 0.9 miles from the DSL enabled exchange and that my dial-up speed of 40 - 45kbps is " bloody good ".
Strangly BT have told me I could have a 2mb connection with them.................go figure.

Anyway , checked my PlusNet account a few minutes ago and low and behold my first payment has gone through meaning that the line is now " OK ".
Whether it was BT getting their fingers out or more likely the guys at +NET forcing it through , I,ll leave that one to you.................

Thanks again.