cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

In the process of signing up...

N/A

In the process of signing up...

After reading all this im actually starting to wonder if i should sign up with plusnet. Should i cancel the sign up process and go elsewhere? My friend and i intend to use the 512/256k connection for internet sharing, i play counter strike a lot and well be downloading fairly big files, game demos etc...Is it worth paying someone else and extra few quid a month for perhaps a more consistant connection?
Seb
6 REPLIES
N/A

RE: In the process of signing up...

I've been with plusnet now for about 3 months and i have had no problems whatsoever with my connection and in my opinion its well worth signing up for. Sure, some people get problems, but that happens with most adsl providers. Suggest you sign up for a monthly contract, so if you do get probs its easy to cancel.

> After reading all this im actually starting to wonder if i should sign up with plusnet. Should i cancel the sign up process and go elsewhere? My friend and i intend to use the 512/256k connection for internet sharing, i play counter strike a lot and well be downloading fairly big files, game demos etc...Is it worth paying someone else and extra few quid a month for perhaps a more consistant connection?
> Seb

N/A

> I've been with plusnet now for about 3 months and i have had no problems whatsoever with my connection and in my opinion its well worth signing up for. Sure, some people get problems, but that happens with most adsl providers. Suggest you sign up for a monthly contract, so if you do get probs its easy to cancel.
>
> > After reading all this im actually starting to wonder if i should sign up with plusnet. Should i cancel the sign up process and go elsewhere? My friend and i intend to use the 512/256k connection for internet sharing, i play counter strike a lot and well be downloading fairly big files, game demos etc...Is it worth paying someone else and extra few quid a month for perhaps a more consistant connection?
> > Seb
>
>
I wouldn't bother mate, it was great, it really was but not anymore. My download speeds have gone to pot, I was getting better downloads on a 56k at times.
N/A

As I & others have said in other threads, ADSL speeds vary over time - it's the nature of the technology. All ISPs suffer slow-downs, sometimes it's not their fault anyway. If you sign up for ADSL with anybody and expect to get 512/256 24/7 then you're going to be dissapointed. Like unmetered dia-up over the last few years I expect it will get worse before it gets better (and more expensive).
Having said that, even when the speeds fall down to modem pace, it's still better than being on unmetered dial-up since it's always connected, the phone line's free and since i'm using a multi-port router I can have several machines online at once.
My d/l speed has never fallen below 80K. At peak times it's usually about 150K and off peak its 490K.
Dissapointing, yes, but the service is still worth the extra £10 per month over what I was paying for unmetered dial-up.

> After reading all this im actually starting to wonder if i should sign up with plusnet. Should i cancel the sign up process and go elsewhere? My friend and i intend to use the 512/256k connection for internet sharing, i play counter strike a lot and well be downloading fairly big files, game demos etc...Is it worth paying someone else and extra few quid a month for perhaps a more consistant connection?
> Seb

N/A

Thanx for the tips,
I really would go with BT but its the 12month minimum contract which is no use because im a student and i might only be in my house 9months. BTs service NEVER (from my experiance) slows down to that extent always connects at 576kb no matter what time of day. download speeds of 60kilobytes a sec. Its all good being about to cancel the monthly contract but iv heard it can cause problems when changing to a different adsl provider, is this true? does anyone use a router with modem built in? if they do what kind of pings and download speeds do they get?

N/A

iv been looking at the bt website and after checking my fone number, it tells me i can get broadband up to 2megabit which means i must be fairly close to the exchange. It says im connecting to Higher bolton exchange which isnt in there list of exchanges oh well.
http://www.bt.com/broadband/
Im gonna go with plusnet anyhow hopefully things will be ok.
Seb
N/A

> iv been looking at the bt website and after checking my fone number, it tells me i can get broadband up to 2megabit which means i must be fairly close to the exchange. It says im connecting to Higher bolton exchange which isnt in there list of exchanges oh well.
> http://www.bt.com/broadband/
> Im gonna go with plusnet anyhow hopefully things will be ok.
> Seb

I've been with Plusnet for a matter of weeks and not had any problems. Up till now only got good service from Plusnet. Previously (different house and area)I was with BT and regularly had down time days at a time. To me BT is not worth the extra money and would not recommend them on service.

Youve made the best choice between these two.