cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

In defence of Plus net

N/A

In defence of Plus net

I am seeing lots of Moans about Plus Net and the FUP which has now gone anyway. But take a look around Plus net is still the best deal in Town. I have been with them a couple of years with no major problems. When you see what you get for very little money its great. There are lots of deals around but if you read carefully they dont come close to Plus Nets.

Most dont have newsgroups or static IP very few can match 250 meg diskspace with PHP etc. 90% of the time service is great on Plus Net I upgraded to 2 meg and I had it within 3 days. Very few companies run a portal were you can slag off the company without censorship. These open forums were people can say what they like is the sign of a good company after all you cant improve if you dont listen to your customers.

Like any large firm changes take time as there is allways the knock on effect so careful planning is needed. For them to now change to 30:1 connection puts them at the top of the tree for the service they supply.

When you think what you get for very little money its fantastic. I was one of the first people on the Internet years ago when we had 14k Modems and you paid a lot for the service and then paid £30 a month to BT as well. In 200 I ordered a 1 meg line for my company and it cost £30,000 to install and a fortune every month.

I am sure FUP was amined and the odd few who abuse the service and download DVD's etc for profit most people wouldnt be effected by FUP anyway but it has raised awareness that bandwidth isnt free
16 REPLIES
N/A

In defence of Plus net

Not one to want to start an argument here, but I have to say that I agree entirely with the above post.

I have been a Plus-Net customer since the entire service ran under the Force9 tag (before Plus-Net existed and when "Choice Peripherals" were F9's sister company) and have been an internet user since before the first graphical web pages appeared!

In my opinion, Plus Net is doing an excellent job for an excellent monthly cost. Sure, they are having a few glitches at the moment, but what company doesn't? They are glitches, the company is not ripping us off. I have been ripped off by some MAJOR internet companies before who stop talking to you when you have a problem, make you follow rediculous procedures to get worthless help, and fail to provide the services they advertise but still contractually make you pay for it.

Regarding Plus-Net, I can't wait for the speed upgrades, I am glad to see the back of the FUP, and I love the existing level of services they offer (although cheaper additional domain name purchases would be nice).

I for one vote that this thread be "stickied / pinned" by the mods, to help keep some of the "rants" in perspective.

Keep up the good work PN - looking forward to the iminent improvements Smiley
N/A

In defence of Plus net

Unfortunatly not. Whilst the vast volume of the forum is dedicated to rant right now, such stickies would be seen as Bias.
madswitcher
Grafter

In defence of Plus net

I would like to add to the above "pro plus" comment.

Having been using the service for about 2 years, I have not had any major problems. The line speed has been consistant up to near the 2M mark (+-10% or so) and when I have had to contact tech support, I have always found them capable and intelligent of the subject.

I tokk advantage of the cost cut and went for the charged down-price, so I know get 2M for £22 which in my book is a good deal for a not so heavy user - but then my employer pays for that as I am a mobile worker

Having stated the above, I am a speed junky and impatient son of a b**ch and I equate time to money for my work and so I am just about to get a UKonline unlimited 8M service provisioned on our other line. So PN are quite a bit behind the curve technically. But not being one to jump from pan to fire, I'm going to run them in parallel for a while and see how it goes.

So I rate PN very high having come from BT Openwoe and am pleased with the service I get from them, but they are going to have work a little harder to retain customers in this very competitive area.

Mike
N/A

In defence of Plus net

Yes, perhaps the number of rant posts hides the fact that there are many many satisfied PlusNet users - including myself - who just dont shout as loud.
N/A

In defence of Plus net

I agree. However, you have to look at why a forum is here in the first place.

People don't normaly login just to say how happy they are. Us british folk don't normaly announce to the word that we are happy with a service that in genral we should not be unhappy with in the first place.

It is more of a place to vent your anger, get answers and have a pop. The problem is, some forums can be more agressive than others.

AG for example has taken a few angry folk, let them birate people that should so much as hinter with any help and treat you as a child if you should so much as appologise for a mistake.

Only, as the volume of people offering said help, admitting they are wrong or praising the service declines as a result of the hostility, so the fuel grows for people to claim the words "not as many happy people around here any more, is the service going to pot".
N/A

In defence of Plus net

Ive been very happy with plus, as im sure maney others have. The biggest downside to the whole FUP thing is that it has lost some of my confidence in them as an ISP. Im sure this is the case for maney other satisfed customers. With the standad for most conections costing around the £20 mark is 1meg, its easy to see why people are complaining abouit been stuck on 512 for the same price as 1meg. Promiced speed upgreades arent the same as actural one's. If plus could put a date on it. It would be alot happyer.
johnmglen
Grafter

In defence of Plus net

I've been through loads of ISPs (ooooeeeer!) and Plus.Net have been easily the best, most reliable and helpful of them all. You want cack service...Tiscali is out there, waiting for your custom. Cry
TomH
Grafter

In defence of Plus net

I totally agree, Plusnet is without a doubt one of the best ISP's out there, especially if you take in to account what you get for your money.
N/A

In defence of Plus net

i disagree i think plusnet have serious problems understanding english, 3 times i posted a Contact Us ticket stating i wish to downgrade to premier 30 mb and increas my line speed to 2mb. i had three replies stating and i quote, "please can you tell us what changes you would like to take place so we can action your ticket."
After a few more emails they agreed this could be done but a downgrade fee of £14.99 and a line upgrade fee of £14.99 would apply, i said no and told them i was going to change isp unless the waive the fees, they did this, which is the only good thing the did do.
zebo-the-fat
Grafter

In defence of Plus net

I have been with plusnet for just over 12 months and have had no problems. The service was set up and the modem delivered on the date agreed, everything has worked fine, (the only problem was due to a fault at the exchange - BT's fault!). Communication with the company has been good and queries answered promptly.
I am waiting impatiently for the exchange to be upgraded so I can get 2Mb but again that seems to be up to BT not plusnet. All in all, the service is MUCH better than other ISP's I have used. Cheesy Cheesy
CaptainFantasti
Grafter

In defence of Plus net

I have been with PlusNet for three years now.
I am still happy with the service.

I joined for two reason: the price and the support.

Before I joined, it was obvious by looking at the portal that PlusNet's support was good, and that they wanted to give as much info as possible.

OK, this has backfired recently, where less info would, possibly have been the better option.

I do believe that some people would be unhappy no matter what PlusNet said.

Some people need to remember that it's just an internet connection, not a way of life.
thejudge
Grafter

In defence of Plus net

Coming up for 2 years with PlusNet now, and no problems.

When I was deciding on which ISP to go to when broadband became available, i went to the ADSL Guide and worked from there.

It was the forums and tech support which clinched it for me. When things do go tits-up (as they always will do from time to time), PlusNet do say so - unlike Tiscali, who seem to live in a state of permanent denial.

So, let's hear it for PlusNet Cheesy
N/A

In defence of Plus net

Have to say ive never had any problems with the service, tho the past few weeks have been a nightmare with reading the forums, seems they dont know what to try next. Hopefully things will be sorted soon and everything can get back to normal.
N/A

In defence of Plus net

I am also a happy Plus Net customer for nearly two years now, they always answer tickets, and upgraded my line to 2Mb (for the small fee) within a week. A friend with BT is gutted, he is still at 512!

The FUP? Well I was thinking of upgrading to the 50 package (currently on the 30) so am glad it's gone, but would have paid for the increased transfers.

You get decent web space, domain name hosting, email etc. etc. all for 22quid a month.

I also think it's Plus Net's openness on the forums which have cause some of the moans, they try and tell the "geeks" on the forums information as fast and truthfully as possible. Apart from giving them the service for free (and I don't think that would stop the moaning from some!) what can they do!?