cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

In 10 Years time....

N/A

In 10 Years time....

Guess what speed broadband will be available for £20 - £30 (per month) in 10 years time.

What do you think?
31 REPLIES
Community Veteran

In 10 Years time....

Your not going to get far above the current 2 meg speed because of the physical limits imposed by the telephone system.
Only if the system is changed to be fibre almost to your door will you see much improvement.
This will take more than 10 years to happen.
N/A

In 10 Years time....

I thoght ADSL could go upto 8mb?

Moderators note (John) quote removed. There is no need to quote the entire content of an immediately preceeding post
N/A

In 10 Years time....

Modems/routers can physically go that high, but I think the infrastructure is the limiting factor.
N/A

In 10 Years time....

Advantages
There are multiple advantages to using ADSL. For one, ADSL will transcend the speeds of current data transmissions. Presently, ADSL is capable of delivering downstream speeds of up-to 2MB burst and upstream speeds of 256K burst. However, rates have the capability of increasing these speeds. In years to come, you can expect downstream speeds of up-to 32MB and upstream speeds as high as 2MB.

http://www.tollon.net/adsl/adsl-explained.shtml
Community Veteran

In 10 Years time....

Modems/routers can physically go that high, but I think the infrastructure is the limiting factor.

Yes exactly. A copper wire is a copper wire and already the distance you can be from the exchange limits many people from enjoying ADSL.
N/A

In 10 Years time....

So, basically, the speeds available now are all we can have for the next 10 years? :x
N/A

In 10 Years time....

Unless they decide to upgrade the wiring before then, at huge costs, and causing large amounts of disruption to service Smiley
Community Veteran

In 10 Years time....

I hope that I am totaly wrong but as I see it the limiting factor is the wire between you and the Telephone Exchange.
From the exchange the signal then goes on a optical fibre network and speed and bandwidth here are only ruled by the speed of light.
On your copper wire you are governed by line capacitance that has greater effect the higher the frequency (speed) and the line inductance again which increases with frequency (speed)
N/A

In 10 Years time....

Sounds like it would take a long time, and something which I very much doubt BT will be doing soon Smiley

The other matter - does anyone know howto upgrade the speed of light!? Smiley
N/A

In 10 Years time....

What about Cable?

Cable is available in my area.
Community Veteran

In 10 Years time....

You are lucky then. You have a choice.
Not everyone has the option of cable.
N/A

In 10 Years time....

You are lucky then. You have a choice.
Not everyone has the option of cable.
So, could we see cable speeds drastically increase?
Community Veteran

In 10 Years time....

Cable speeds could well increase as they are significantly different to copper wire and dont have the same limitations of distance.
One problem though that might occur with cable is congestion.
One cable covering a particular area does have on upper bandwidth limit and if enough people were using it at the same time, all at very high speeds then it could in theory hit the limit.
N/A

In 10 Years time....

I would say that it is impossible to try and guess what the next ten years will bring, but I will have a go. I guess that phonelines and cable will be the has beens medium for broadband, and that much faster and reliable connections will be possible via the National Grid, which just about everybody is connected to. The mains cable to your house is capable of carrying signals as well as power. Infact I will stick my neck out and say power companies will offer a free basic service as a loss leader just to get you to sign up to buy your electricity from them, bells and whistles to be added as pay for extras. Thats my guess anyway.