cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Improving Line Conditions

N/A

Hi,

I'm in a remote location and I'm trying to do everything I can to improve my connection from this end.

I'm syncing at about 5.4mbps / 448 kbps and speed tests vary from 2.4mbps - 4mbps depending on the time of day.

Inside my main BT socket only two of the internal wires are plugged into the socket. The others are just hanging loose inside the box. Will it improve conditions (maybe the SNR) if I insulate these wires? Or do they have no use?

Hope this makes sense!

Thanks
3 REPLIES
N/A

Hi,
It shouldn't make any difference, they are just spare so they aren't connected to anything at the other end. Having said that, there is no harm in trying if you already have the faceplate off.
N/A

Thanks for the replies. I'm more than happy with my connection speed. Other people on the Island seem to be getting 512kbps - 1.5mbps so I feel lucky!

I was just a bit concerned with the SNR. I'm at work now and can't remember the exact figures but they seemed way out. I'll post them later.

Thanks again for the help. I'll post the SNR figures this evening and see if anybody can explain them to me!

Oliver
ID
Grafter

The extra pairs in your master box shouldnt cause you any problems as previously posted but tidying them up wont hurt. If you/anyone need to run any extensions off the main socket i recommend asking the electrician / engineer to use cat6 cable from the socket. The cable has very tight twisted pairs and a screening which can help stop interferance.
I just hepled build a friend house who put Cat6 thruout for Telephone and network in a bid to help future proof his house.