cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Important - Binatone ADSL 500 modem

N/A

If you are having problems with the newer "3 lights" modem, it is probably because the instructions supplied with it are for the older "2 lights" modem! Sad

The good news is that the drivers supplied with your modem definitely work with Windows 98SE and Windows XP. Cheesy

I will post instructions later. Just got in from work, and i have to take over babysitting duties for a while!

Regards,

Colster
36 REPLIES
N/A

babysitting duties? is that the new name for the food that was offered on that radio advert we heard on the way home....

must be mr chan!

enjoy yer food and get them instructions sorted! i sick of you fixing plusnets problems during our work day!

just kidding by the way.... Any thing to help our number one isp, who never pays us commission..... for signing new customers up to them!

regards

ged
N/A

Pizza tonite boss! Anyway, just typed the instructions out, pressed the preview button, and got logged out of the portal! Smart! Retyping now.
N/A

Delete Binatone icon.

Navigate to control panel.

Open add/remove programmes.

Delete Binatone software.

Restart PC.

Insert driver disc.

If CD autoplays, click CANCEL.

Retrieve modem from bin.

Plug it in.

When new hardware wizard starts, WinXP=auto search for drivers. Win98SE=tick CD-ROM (no need to specify path). Two components will be found, repeat above for both of these. You may be asked to provide your Win98 CD during installation, so have this ready first.

When done, restart PC. Wait about a minute for modem to boot (cool!), then double click new Binatone icon to enter setup page.

Fill in the empty boxes and off you surf (if your filters work)!

Good luck!

Ring me at work if you need any further help. See WWW.SOUNDSYSTEM.CO.UK for contact us details.

Regards,

Colster

Pizza gone up a quid! Time for a payrise methinks, or commission from Plusnet medon`tthinks!
N/A

told yer you should have rang chinese, mr wong delivers and cheapest in wallington

no you cant have a paylise, just stop eating pizza all the time

mr wong's 810810 cheapest in wallington
Community Veteran

The problems some have reported is the connection to the setup page stage where they get a page not found error. This does not happen to everyone so did this happen to you originally or have you never had a problem installing your Binatone?

Why some have problems and others not has not been identified yet. Some suggest it's the firewall or anti-virus that may be interfering but many have disabled both and still had a problem connecting to the setup page.
N/A

perhaps its because the beloved plusnet are sending out the instructions for the 2 light modem with the 3 light modem

further proof no one reads the messages properly he was tring to be helpful and help solve customer's problems.

we know this as we had to sort out a customer's pc with a 3 light modem, which incidentally we had referred and signed up to plusnet, with which she had been given the setup page of a 2 light modem!!!!!!!

come on plusnet at lest meet us halfway and give out the correct info!

flame me now plz
Community Veteran

Surely the documentation with the modem comes from the manufacturer - Binatone - not PlusNet so are you sure it was PlusNets fault. I understood the Binatone package was just the standard one from Binatone or am I wrong.

If Plusnet repackage the modem then that could be why the wrong info is being supplied so yes, Plusnet do need to get their act together and supply the correct info. However, I'm not sure all problems reported on the board are due to the wrong packaging - some had downloading the instructions from the ftp link given in other threads (which is now dead) which was for the correct modem and still have the problem I mentioned above.

further proof no one reads the messages properly he was tring to be helpful and help solve customer's problems.

I read it all carefully... Yes I appreciate smithclan taking the time to post instructions but I was also trying to estabish if smithclan had the access to the setup page problem originally when following the included install instructions, and what has been posted get's around those problems. In other words the steps detailed above will allow those who do have the setup page access problem to get their modem working. If smithclan never had the page access problem then the above info may not be a solution to the install problem some have had recently.
N/A

My modem = "2 lights" - working

New customers = "3 lights - was not working but is now! Wrong instructions were supplied with this modem. You don`t appear to be able to grasp what I am saying here. The two modems set up totally differently from each other. Have you considered obtaining one and trying for yourself? Did phone Dave this afternoon. He seemed to comprehend me and is taking up with supplier - told you it wouldn`t be Plusnets fault!

N/B Both machines had Norton Internet Security 2003 installed. No problems with XP, had to disable firewall on Win98SE (dunno why).
N/A

ummmm

smithclan is a computer engineer who worked on that ladies machine today and was trying to give help and advice to people struggling with the binatone modem. He even took the time to phone plusnet today about their error.

The instruction photocopy clearly states plusnet and force9 as a header and is for the 2 light modem. The modem that the lady we had recommded and signed her up to plusnet was a 3 light modem.

This was despatched woth the modem and so he was taking his own time after work to inform both the customer and plusnet that plusnet or indeed their supplier are giving out the wrong information.

Whether or not plusnet supply the modem or not, the contract is between the plusnet customer and plusnet not between the customer and plusnet's supplier.

Yes I appreciate smithclan taking the time to post instructions but I was also trying to estabish if smithclan had the access to the setup page problem originally when following the included install instructions, and what has been posted get's around those problems

the whole point of this exercise is that it is not smithclan having the problems, but if you follow the wrong instructions supplied you do not have access to the login page etc. If you do the correct procedure as outlined above, then the login on page works first time, believe me we tried it at wotk today.

Easiest solution is for plusnet to make sure the instructions that are shipped with the modem are the correct ones.

Its like sending out an instruction manual for a lawnmower to show someone how to build a spaceship. Not a lot of people are completely clued up on computers but however given the right guidance can achieve many things.

Anyway i got better things to do then spend all nite on a forum when i havent even got a binatone modem.

thx anyway
N/A

Our mutual customer had exactly the problem experienced by numerous people on your forums. The instructions I posted earlier resolved this, under Win XP. I then took the time to set up Win98SE on another computer to try the software instalation with a view to helping rectify this problem. I have read previous postings with interest, and would suggest that a lot of the suggestions made by other users relate to the "2 light" model. I say this based upon when they started posting on these forums. I understand the newer model modem began circulating in January this year.

To clarify, the modem is dispatched in Binatone packaging, but has a leaflet enclosed which would appear to originate from Plusnet.

Regards,

Colster
Community Veteran

OK, thanks.
pcorker
Grafter

The smith/system instructions appear wrong.
Shirley, as with most USB stuff, you install the drivers then connect the device?
My instructions matched those of other ISPs for the 3 lights model - they worked. Few folk seem to have a driver installation problem - the network and TCIP adapter and usb driver seem to go in ok - it's when they try to communicate with the modem via the unsigned activex controls that the problems usually start.
(Though perhaps "Never.." might be better than "Dial whenever..")
Still, it's a quaint double-act, guy(s)
Pat.
N/A

What leval are the Xp pc's that have got it working? I had it working if I rolled it back to SP1 with no updates. It died when I did a windows update. It would appear to be related to this update as if I tried installing with the update it wouldnt work.

If we could work out which update kills it we may be making progress. It also seem to be down to the DHCP on the driver some times this gives out a strange ip and it then doesnt work. What appears to happen is if it cant connect straight away it gives out a ip in the 168 range and it is then that it doesnt work. It seems to take a long time to sync.

I have given up and the sister inlaw has had to buy another modem
N/A

PCORKER - I agree in most cases, USB device drivers would normally be installed first. However in this case the only way to access the modem setup utility was by following the above instructions. Incidentally, the modem is supplied with a vague Binatone manual which also states that modem should be connected first. It does not however mention the add new hardware wizards which subsequently appear, so I have modified their manual if you like to achieve the desired result. If my instructions work, as they appear to, why challenge them?