cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If your new to plusnet then God help U

N/A

I've been with plusnet ADSL about 7 weeks now & I'm still working of a 56k dialup. I've conntacted there help line 28 times. I'm totally feed up i've wasted night after night along with a few full days trying to get the broadband to work. It's your firewall yeh but it's off oh it's your anti virus it's your phone skt you name it they've said it's been at fault. I've even been asked would I think about upgrading my op system from 98se to mill or xp so I'm going to throw another £100+ trying to get it to work. I don't think so. The latest is that I tried to cancel my contract. The reply came back.

"As you are within the first 12 months of your contract, there will be a fee of £99.99 to cancel the account."
84 REPLIES
Community Veteran

If your intension was to seek help here then detailing what your problem is would allow us to offer suggestions. Also incloude details of your PC and what ADSL equipment you are using.

There are also a number of tutorials about wiring and troubleshooting in the tutorials forum which I suggest you read. There is also a troubleshooting page on the main customer support pages.
N/A

I have called 0845 1400200 28 time for help. Thats what I though they were for maybe I was wrong maybe I should have come here but getting here was a problem when your broadband connection don't work. But now I'm just so fed up & disillusioned by the whole thing.
Community Veteran

So you don't want us (us being fellow customers) to help your then?
N/A

This great joke came to day in an email from plusnet.

"We hope that you are enjoying Broadband EasyStart account and finding our services of
exceptional value." :lol:

What service ? Cry
sure I've not had more than 30 mins good connection in the last 7 weeks or so. :x
I can't even get onto the plusnet website via broadband. Sad
I need to use another isp to do that on dail up. Cheesy

This came along with an email looking for another £24.99 @ the weekend.
N/A

details of my pc are as follows.
Motherboard-- Gigabyte GA-6vx7-1494
cpu PIII 850
memory 256mb
hdd 30gb+ 80gb hdd's
sound-- Creative sound blaster
Graphics- Desperado AGP-RI series
USB 2.0 card
Kouwell Ultra DMA 100 controller
Accton 10/100 Ethernet card

Other ex hardware.
Monitor 17" ADi microscan
Epson styus colour 800 on par port
Epson styus photo 900 on USB port
Umax Astra 4700 on USB 2.0 port

& the part that don't work the plusnet supplyed Binatone ADSL 500 modem.
Community Veteran

While the PC spec is fine just saying 'it don't work' does not give us a lot to go on.

Maybe a little bit of history of your problem and what you have tried would help. Explaining in what way it does not work would also help. Also detail any firewall and virus scanner software you are running.

There have been many threads on getting this modem to work, some successful, others not, so you are not the only one who has had problems with this modem. Just do a search for ADSL 500 to find them as they may contain info you have not tried or offer suggestions in the way the Binatone drivers should be installed.

The more info you can give, the better the chances we can offer suggestions you have not tried yet.

One common problem related to most USB modems is the USB port not supplying enough current for the device and the port shutting down. This is particularly relevant to VIA and SiS chipsets. This can sometimes be solved by using a powered USB2 hub, in some cases the PSU had to be changed for a higher powered version. Sometimes using a USB2 port can help or using a PCI USB 2 card instead on using the motherboard USB ports.
N/A

So whats happened.

I installed the modem as instructed. Went to log on the net & only a few sites would open. Called Plusnet. Who told me to do a few things then reboot & should be ok . Rebooted up it came ( for about 30 minutes) sod this I'm of to bed look @ it tomorrow night.

Next night same thing only getting a few sites. Funny thing was the sites that I'd got the night before I couldn't get tonight but could get the sites that I couldn't get the night before. Called plusnet told to remove modem form phone socket for @ least an hour Thats another night wasted. This kind of thing has been going on night after night. & you may wonder why I'm so cross.

Also when I left the pc logged on for a few hours for plusnet to run tests it disconnected itself this happened a few times. Though ADSL was ment to stay online 24/7 if you did not disconnect.
Community Veteran

Where is the modem plugged int: the motherboard USB or one of the USB ports on your USB card? If you have not tried the USB card try connecting the modem to that.

Have your tried with all your other USB connected equipment disconnected - so the only USB device being used is the modem.

Does the power light on the modem go out at all when it has disconnected. If so this indicates you have a USB power issue which is causing your disconnections.

What do you do to get it connected again?

Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers.

Are all your phones, faxes, 56k modems and sky digiboxes all connected via ADSL filter/splitters? if not they should be.

Are you connecting the modem to the BT master socket or an extension? If an extension, can you try in the master socket.

Have you tried with all other phones disconnected?

Are you connecting the ADSL modem to a socker via a ADSL filter/splitter? If not try this.

What firewall software are you running? Some like ZA and NIS require the software to be completely uninstalled before it no longer plays any part in your internet connection. Just disabling them does not shut them down completely.

Have you read the following tutorials:

ADSL: Wiring and Filters

ADSL: Trouble Shooting
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

The 2 tutorials Peter lists are a good start. I'd also recommend a thorough scan of your system for Spyware and Virii and also try using a different web browser such as Opera or Mozilla to see if they offer any improvement.
N/A

Firewall is zonealarm 4.5.594.000 anti virus is AVG 6.0 op system windows 98se
The hdd has been wiped clean no less than 3 times with the first hardware being installed the ADSL modem this was without firewall & anti virus. Modem drivers have been uninstalled & reinstalled over & over again. I've also tried xp pro this didn't work either. I've tried different filters I've tried connecting to the main phone socket. I've also tried to get the modem to work with my dell lappy it's running on 98se dell inspiron 4000 PIII700 512mb 20gbhdd dvd rom drive but it will not take the drivers when I tried to install drivers it asks for the 98 disc but will not let me remove the modem driver disc then I tried copying the modem drivers to the hdd & running setup this didn't work either. I've another desktop here with an Epox 8RDA+ motherboard 2600+ amd cpu 512bm 200gb hdd but it's used for running music programs & I don't want it to go on line just incase it picks up a virus & I lose my music collection I've now got most of my large music collection on it. Took me ages to record my singles collection & it's still not all finished yet.
N/A

What I could try tomorrow is a Sparkcom ADSL modem router that I have & not yet got round to using as I've spent so much time trying to sort the binatone out.
csogilvie
Grafter

I suspect if that works, then it points to a problem with the Binatone, so its always a good thing to test.
N/A

Yep been down the Mozilla road as well no better tried firefox 8
N/A

harry757, don't know where you in in the Country, but if you're anywhere near Northampton you're more than welcome to borrow my spare Binatone Modem to help prove things.

Jeff