Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Idiots Guide to Installing Linksys WAG54G Router

Gel
Pro
Fixes: 10

I'm struggling getting to work via a cabled or Wireless connection; manual not overhelpful frankly.
Have tried +Net Support and weren't much help either on this. :?:

Is there another on line resource I can access,
explaining in simple steps? :shock:

For example my wireless connected laptop is powered down but cable connected LAN on desktop is configured via WAN, and seems no way of undoing that?

Additionally WAN is set up on wrong protocol of PPPoE and Win XP seems to offer no way of getting to correct PPPoA.

I've tried TCP/IP settings on cabled LAN ofAutomatically assign IP, and those given by Plus Net; still no joy, though I believe latter is correct.
The Router has a flashing "DSL" led, so that may be clue; the "INTERNET" led next to it has never lit yet.
7 REPLIES
ncreu
Grafter

Re: Idiots Guide to Installing Linksys WAG54G Router

I'm struggling getting to work via a cabled or Wireless connection; manual not overhelpful frankly.
>snip<
Additionally WAN is set up on wrong protocol of PPPoE and Win XP seems to offer no way of getting to correct PPPoA.

I'm not familiar with this router but I would expect that the manual should explain how to set it up. I use a D-link DSL-502T and the setup is by way of accessing it's IP address, http://192.168.1.1/ from IE on a connected PC. This is how the configuration is changed and username and password are entered.
The manual should explain how to understand the indicator lights.
On the D-link, the ADSL light flashes until a connection is achieved when it stays lit for as long as the connection is there.
The PC should be setup to obtain IP addresses by DHCP. If this won't work, try manually configuring the IP, subnet and gateway addresses, rebooting the PC and then setting it back to DHCP. Sometimes I think that erroneous data stored in the windows registry can override DHCP.
Not sure if any of this will help for you.
Gel
Pro

Re: Idiots Guide to Installing Linksys WAG54G Router

Thanks; the manual says Internet RED solid led shows connection to isp has failed, WHICH CLEARLY IT HAS!

The DSL green light should be solid[per manual], whereas mine is blinking all the time;I had thought/hoped this was a sign of traffic flow, obviously not!

:?: Question with no pc's connected I wonder whether the adsl green led should be solid green when powered up showing adsl is correctly activated on my line?
The 192.168.1.1 I have OK, but get bit confused where Router manual says to
"Enter uniqueIP address that's not used by any other computer on the network"; :?:
where do I get correct format/number fromHuh

With wireless LAN's tcp-ip PROPERTIES SHOULD THAT BE "obtain an IP address automatically?" :?:

Assistance valued; I think a USB PLug & Play would be simpler but on my laptop this wont be suitable for our company dial in/firewall so why I went this route.
N/A

just to clarify, on the router, dsl should be solid, with the internet solid, flashing with internet activity

login to the router, default name and password are in the manual

setup/basic setup

encapsulation: RFC 2364 PPPoA
vpi 0
vci 38
multiplexing vc

local ip address 192.168.1.1 (default I believe)
subnet 255.255.255.0

local dhcp server enabled

what firmware are you using? latest is 1.02.1 I believe, there are two available, annex a is the one you need to use as the other I believe is for the model with isdn fallback or something like that.

if you look on the cd that it comes with, there is a 22Mb ish pdf file, that is the main manual, once opened, if you go to the very bottom where it says user guide, it details everything in more detail.

I'm just gonna mis-setup my router to see if it does the same as yours... (famous last words :lol: )

ok, set to PPPoE and wrong username, DSL solid green, internet solid red.

for the main pc, I've set the ip as static, but everything else is set to dhcp
Gel
Pro

Flashing led's

Thanks for advice; I have had afternoon off as making my blood pressure too high.
What I will do in morning is borrow the usb modem in Argos Catalogue, just to see if that works, so at least my desktop may be able to enjoy adsl, and to see connections ok from BT.
Easyily installed it says; Linksys say quick install; not 4 me :shock: .

1.2 is firmware data.

As far as I can see everything on CD is just pdf documents and I have indeed studied manual/FAQ etc; I assume you've same :?:
I was expecting some sort of wizard/set up program.

The settings you kindly listed are as mine; I'm a little confused as to whether WAN {TCP/IP}is "Obtain IP automatically" :?: :?:

Mine is at moment ,with DNS numbers given by PlusNet.

When I rebooted my desk top again this eveneing, I had solid red led, blinking green DSL led, but I did get a log on screen which was encouraging..perhaps!; I used admin for user & p/word, but recall I only should have done this initially when setting up :?:
I'll retry with my @plusdsl.net next time & normal p/word.

With the "pseudo web page" you get when setting up by clicking on 192.168.1.1, assume that's displayed from the routers software.

Finally Am I correct in thinking there's no need to Create A New Connection in XP as it done via router;{Just something else I tried}

Thanks all for trying to restore my BP to normal levels.
just to clarify, on the router, dsl should be solid, with the internet solid, flashing with internet activity

setup/basic setup

vpi 0
vci 38
multiplexing vc
ncreu
Grafter

Re: Flashing led's

With the "pseudo web page" you get when setting up by clicking on 192.168.1.1, assume that's displayed from the routers software.

You're over complicating everything. Administration of the router is via the Webpage at the URL that you've described. There must be a setup page where you type in the information that +net supplied as follows:

setup/basic setup

vpi 0
vci 38
multiplexing vc

This is separate from setting up the PC. The connection to the PC must exist because you can access the router's setup screen. The router is a 'stand alone' device that will be working if you've set it up as described above. If the correct lights do not show then you've either not got an ADSL connection or you've not entered the infomation supplied by +net correctly. Once you've got a connection, as indicated by the status lights on the router, you should then have access to the Internet from your browser.
Gel
Pro

Progress some!

The Binatone adsl modem from Argos £29, was a dream to set up compared to Linksys router, and has an easy to use diagnostic feature.
{Includes USB cable/BT/RJ cable/filter/CD}.

This confirmed there was a fault on adsl signal.

Helpful Customer Service too on an 01 number not expensive 0870 number of Li nksys UK; I see in EC & USA they offer 0800.
So small too.

I find that at point where BT cables enter property [I dont have master socket] so tapped off downstream off this with nowt else connected.
Hey Presto adsl logged on OK.
Now have to do some rewiring in the house utilising Solwise filter socket as master in loft, eliminating need for loose filters..
N/A

lol don't you just hate that Smiley all that work for nothing...well almost nothing... at least you now know the linksys router better than before Smiley