cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ITS STARTING AGAIN!!!!!!

Grimbo
Grafter

ITS STARTING AGAIN!!!!!!

I am afraid that the problems encountered by us Plusnet users are beginning to happen again, just the same way it started four months or so ago.

Since the new pipe was installed, my ping in MOH at peak times has been around 50, a few weeks ago it was 60, then 70 and now it hovers between 100-250 (last night it hovered around 500).

I have been with Plusnet for several years (since F9), but I will definately cancel rather than go through the last fiasco again.

Graeme Allon
8 REPLIES
N/A

RE: ITS STARTING AGAIN!!!!!!

> I am afraid that the problems encountered by us Plusnet users are beginning to happen again, just the same way it started four months or so ago.
>
> Since the new pipe was installed, my ping in MOH at peak times has been around 50, a few weeks ago it was 60, then 70 and now it hovers between 100-250 (last night it hovered around 500).
>
> I have been with Plusnet for several years (since F9), but I will definately cancel rather than go through the last fiasco again.
>
> Graeme Allon

Hi. I have just signed up to ADSL with PlusNet (waiting for line to be activated) and have been following this forum over the past week or so.... it seems as though views on speeds change almost daily. So could anyone care to tell me what are the typical sppeds that they get for say file transfers on P2P programs and how fast web pages typically load? Also, how long did this apparant fiasco of an overloaded pipe last time it occured?

Asim.
N/A

> > I am afraid that the problems encountered by us Plusnet users are beginning to happen again, just the same way it started four months or so ago.
> >
> > Since the new pipe was installed, my ping in MOH at peak times has been around 50, a few weeks ago it was 60, then 70 and now it hovers between 100-250 (last night it hovered around 500).
> >
> > I have been with Plusnet for several years (since F9), but I will definately cancel rather than go through the last fiasco again.
> >
> > Graeme Allon
>
>
> Hi. I have just signed up to ADSL with PlusNet (waiting for line to be activated) and have been following this forum over the past week or so.... it seems as though views on speeds change almost daily. So could anyone care to tell me what are the typical sppeds that they get for say file transfers on P2P programs and how fast web pages typically load? Also, how long did this apparant fiasco of an overloaded pipe last time it occured?
>
> Asim.

Sorry, i meant to ask how long did this problem of an overloaded pipe last?

Asim.
N/A

Yep, same here I can forget about gaming as thats just a futile excercise.

Ive now got a piece of string and 2 tin cans strung out between my router and the BT socket and it actually appears to be faster!

Ali
Grimbo
Grafter

> Ive now got a piece of string and 2 tin cans strung out between my router and the BT socket and it actually appears to be faster!

Ah yes, the old tin can trick. Yes, that does normally beat ADSL when it starts to clog up, but I do prefer carrier pigeon for reliability.
N/A

>
> Sorry, i meant to ask how long did this problem of an overloaded pipe last?
>
> Asim.

it lasted a good few weeks, can't remember exact now, but a long long time.
N/A

> > > I am afraid that the problems encountered by us Plusnet users are beginning to happen again, just the same way it started four months or so ago.
> > >
> > > Since the new pipe was installed, my ping in MOH at peak times has been around 50, a few weeks ago it was 60, then 70 and now it hovers between 100-250 (last night it hovered around 500).
> > >
> > > I have been with Plusnet for several years (since F9), but I will definately cancel rather than go through the last fiasco again.
> > >
> > > Graeme Allon
> >
> >
> > Hi. I have just signed up to ADSL with PlusNet (waiting for line to be activated) and have been following this forum over the past week or so.... it seems as though views on speeds change almost daily. So could anyone care to tell me what are the typical sppeds that they get for say file transfers on P2P programs and how fast web pages typically load? Also, how long did this apparant fiasco of an overloaded pipe last time it occured?
> >
> > Asim.
>
> Sorry, i meant to ask how long did this problem of an overloaded pipe last?
>
> Asim.

Hi Asim,

I have been using plusnet ADSL for about 1 month now, and usually get transfer rates of approx 20kb/s on Kazaa file share, sometimes much higher and sometimes much slower. A lot of this depends on the speed of the connection you are downloading from tho'... As far as general web pages go, they are very fast to load, and general ftp downloads (virus updates, driver updates etc) that used to take hours now take minutes. Over all i'm pretty happy, although things have been a bit slower recently, and i have had trouble connecting, and the occasional dropped connection - tech support tell me that there is a problem at BT's end and they are working to fix it - i wait to see what transpires! Overall - much better than a 56kbs modem! (not that much more expensive than Freeserve Anytime i was on before either!)
N/A

It's been fairly kind to me. I have been getting decent speed on P2P(varies between 0.08k to 40k,although it depends on the other side, if good, usually avg around 20k) and web page loading is fast. I think the problem is just contention at the local exchange.
HOWEVER, trying to play Counter Strike at peak time, is just... worse than modem. Reallys is, I was getting latency of up to 500- SUSTAINED!!
N/A

> It's been fairly kind to me. I have been getting decent speed on P2P(varies between 0.08k to 40k,although it depends on the other side, if good, usually avg around 20k) and web page loading is fast. I think the problem is just contention at the local exchange.
> HOWEVER, trying to play Counter Strike at peak time, is just... worse than modem. Reallys is, I was getting latency of up to 500- SUSTAINED!!
>

Thanks for the info guys. Thats nice to hear, since i am used to getting huge files on my 56k on sppeds of 4.76k max.

Asim.