cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ISP response to Virus abuse

N/A

ISP response to Virus abuse

I tend to get numerous e-mail with virus attachments from a user of a particular ISP. The offending mails get deleted without opening as I always read the mail through mailwasher. Although I update my anti-virus software regularly, I'm concerned that my children will open a mail and cause a melt down.

So I decided to contact the ISP and sent him a mail header, asking him to trace the user. This is the response I got:

Quote:
Unfortunately with the new generation of viruses the last person that is
likely to have to sent the virus is the address on the "TO:" header! If it's
Klez or similar then it definitely isn't the person who appears to have sent
it. Check out our recent Castlebar article on this topic:

http://www.castlebar.ie/news/virus_check.html
Unquote

Having first had a good laugh, I responded asking him to examine the email header as this indicated the time and ip address of the user and got the reply:

'Rubbish'

Has anyone else had this sort of response when reporting abuse to an ISP? Any suggestions on how to stop these mails? Out of interest up till this week most have of the attachments have been Kleg.H but the latest batch of mail contained livra.D

2 REPLIES
N/A

RE: ISP response to Virus abuse

>
> I tend to get numerous e-mail with virus attachments from a user of a particular ISP. The offending mails get deleted without opening as I always read the mail through mailwasher. Although I update my anti-virus software regularly, I'm concerned that my children will open a mail and cause a melt down.
>
> So I decided to contact the ISP and sent him a mail header, asking him to trace the user. This is the response I got:
>
> Quote:
> Unfortunately with the new generation of viruses the last person that is
> likely to have to sent the virus is the address on the "TO:" header! If it's
> Klez or similar then it definitely isn't the person who appears to have sent
> it. Check out our recent Castlebar article on this topic:
>
> http://www.castlebar.ie/news/virus_check.html
> Unquote
>
> Having first had a good laugh, I responded asking him to examine the email header as this indicated the time and ip address of the user and got the reply:
>
> 'Rubbish'
>
> Has anyone else had this sort of response when reporting abuse to an ISP? Any suggestions on how to stop these mails? Out of interest up till this week most have of the attachments have been Kleg.H but the latest batch of mail contained livra.D
>
>
I had simular problems with virus infected e-mails when I had an account with Virgin and got simular response. It is very frustrating.

Just one thought though, since you seem to get so many virus e-mails, have you checked that everyone in your address book isn't infected? They may be sending you viruses unknowingly. Just a thought.

--
Life Is A Roller Coaster.
N/A

RE: ISP response to Virus abuse

My email address that receives these emails was on one of my websites and I presume its a site visitor who's possibly mailed me in the past.

I have set up mailwasher and OE to delete and block the offending IP range/domain, but the kids don't half play around with these things, even though you tell em not to.