cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IPStream 500

bootletip
Grafter

IPStream 500

what does this mean? - I asked about my stable rate and all I got back from pn was that I am 'still on the IPStream 500 at the moment' should I be worried about this statement?
4 REPLIES
N/A

IPStream 500

It means you are on a fixed speed product (500kbps) - and as such, you don't have a 'stable rate'
If you want to be upgraded to MaxDSL there is a thread here which will speed things up.

Only once you are on a product with variable speeds does the stable rate come into play.

This page will give you a little more info on the MaxDSL product, and contains links for further info.
bootletip
Grafter

confused

I was told I was on the 2 mg speed, I pay for the package that has now become the premier 1 and it cost approx £27.00 pm - does their answer of IPStream 500 match with this?

'it means you are on a fixed speed product (500kbps) - and as such, you don't have a 'stable rate''
N/A

IPStream 500

Yes and no!
Before the days of MaxDSL, we all languished with connections of 500Kbs until BTW upgraded their systems to allow connections of up to 2Mbs.
There were three different fixed line speeds of 500Kbs, 1000Kbs and 2000Kbs. (give or take the odd few Kbs for purists Wink )
As such, PN changed their product names to be "Up to 2Mbs" with the decision as to which fixed rate connection you were on being left to BTW to decide based upon various factors affecting the connection quality of your line.
Roll forward a year or two, and BTW rolled out MaxDSL, and PN changed their product names again, to be "Up to 8Mbs".
Once all users are migrated to the new service, the speed will be dynamically set to the highest your line can support electronically.
There are delays in getting everybody moved, but assuming your exchange is enabled (ie BTW have done the upgrade work) PN can move you across.
You can either wait your turn, or jump the queue following the link I gave you.

History lesson aside, all I can think is that whilst your account was historically an up to 2Mbs product, BTW decided your line was low enough quality to only provision you on a 500Kbs product.
They did the same with my account, but now I'm on Max I get around 4000Mbs off peak.

I don't think that you are incorrectly provisioned now, rather that the draconian rules BTW enforced at the time of your provision have held you back. (PN couldn't do anything really to argue if BTW decided that was the fastest your line could support - BTW would always argue against trying a product outside their guidelines, as they assumed it would be unstable, and avoided the possibility that they would have to re-provision you on a lower speed if the higher one failed)
bootletip
Grafter

james

thanks for that - I know my connection says 2.2mg and my exchange was upgraded back last march to take higher speeds.

I think we tend to take speed for granted nowadays - just think back to the 28kps then the wopping 36 and up to 54 we thought we were flying along. then came bb and 500 seemed like a rocket to the moon.

I have no expereince of anthing faster, but do know that my coonection crawls along at times and more recently keeps dropping out.

your description was brilliant thank you