cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IP over ATM

N/A

IP over ATM

My current supply is PPP over ATM. Is there any technical reason why we can't use IP over ATM and save a level of encapsulation?

Regards,

Mick
6 REPLIES
N/A

IP over ATM

PPPOA was chosen by BT, and not +net.

BT are know for being different.
N/A

PPPoA vs IPoA

Yes, I understand that BT impose this encapsulation. I'm a newcomer to the +net discussions, so where should I raise this again?

Regards,

Mick
Community Veteran

IP over ATM

If you want a techie answer then you need to raise it on the Customer Feedback forum and get one of the Support staff to reply.
Or alternatively raise a "Ticket" on contact us
N/A

IP over ATM

Having done a little leg work, to my understanding, BT chose PPPOA, for the possibility of running other services over the network.

These includes video streams.

This can be done with PPPOE, however, the plans included a data channel with this feed, which would means that PPPOA would be more sutied.
N/A

XXX over YYY

Thank you for your quick reply, but it doesn't answer my original question. There are services that run well over IP, i.e. Real Time Video. But why encapsulate one level two protocol, i.e. PPP, over another level two protocol, i.e. ATM? I know that IP over ATM is available elsewhere.

Presumably BT has a reason for taking this approach, but where can I read about the pros and cons?

Regards,

Mick
Mike_Grice
Grafter

IP over ATM

PPPoA is an accepted standard, and the one BT chose for their nationwide rollout.

I'm sure there's plenty of reasons BT chose ATM; IIRC a large chunk of their backbone is ATM and so it would integrate more easily.

BT are trialling PPPoE at the moment, however from reports I've heard elsewhere (like in the US) it doesn't appear to be as solid as PPPoE (I could be wrong though). PPP is also nicely compatible with Windows (Dial-up networking), whereas PPPoE often requires special software.

Finally, there's no problem with running IP over PPP, that's certainly used everywhere! Smiley