cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IP address

N/A

IP address

i've just binned my 56k in favour of broadband and have been given a static ip address. Is there any way i can get a dynamic address or at least change/mask my static one to help me with some download stuff?

thanks for your help
7 REPLIES
N/A

IP address

There is no way to obtain a dynamic IP from the ADSL platform PlusNet provide. This is due to legacy setting in place from an older system PlusNet used to have in place.
N/A

IP address

If you are that worried, you must be doing something illegal. hi hi.

Anyway, a dynamic address does not really protect you from hackers, spammers or government traces.
N/A

IP address

a server i download from has bandwidth throttles in place one of which is to only allow each user 6 file requests per 24 hrs. This is built around users IP addreses so a dynamic address allowed me to dodge this. guess i'll have to find another way... :twisted:

Cheers guys

P.S any ideas will be much appreciated...
Ianwild
Grafter

IP address

Are they standard downloads?

You could investigate using wget from the CGI shell server...

Regards,

Ian
MrToast
Grafter

Reverse DNS reveals domain alias

I had understood from the pre-sales info that Static IP was a no-cost option. I've found the help page describing how to turn it on. But not the setting itself.

Today I migrated to Plus.Net and am alarmed to find my IP is fixed. further a reverse DNS lookup reveals my domain alias name. This could be harvested for SPAM.

Regards,

Andrew Witham
N/A

IP address

Static IP = The IP is fixed and does not change even when you disconnect.
Dynamic IP = The IP changes everytime you disconnect.

If you want to have your rDNS changed you can do so by following this path in the link:contact us ticket system:

• Technical Support (Except Connection problems - See below)
  • ->-Static IP / Reverse DNS Setup
  • ->- Change my Reverse DNS (PTR) configuration

I believe the current options are:

• username.plus.com (default)
  • ip1_ip2_ip3_ip4.plus.com (I.E. 212.159.123.123.plus.com)
  • subdomain.yourdomain.com (I.E. home.mywebsite.com - the domain name must be transferred in to PlusNet for this)

Further details are available by doing as I've said and looking through the options in the Contact Us menu.
MrToast
Grafter

IP address

Thanks,

The 'Contact Us' system seems to be a helpful help system in itself. That info isn't found when I try to search the 'Help'.

Rgds.

Andrew