cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IP address block with D-link 300G+ modem

N/A

'morning all,
I was moved yesterday from a single IP address to a block of four ending in 232, 233, 234 and 235. I assume this means I have two usable IP addresses?

Well, I can't get it to work anyway: My interface correctly picks up 233 from the modem but the modem says the other end of the PPP (at the ISP end) is 234. That's not right is it? If so I still only have on IP address.

Anyway, It doesn't work. I can't ping even the 234 address directly at the other end. Is it a problem with the modem or the way I've been setup?

Thank in advance
Henrik Morsing
7 REPLIES
N/A

Well, just spoke to PN who couldn't (wouldn't) help.
All he said was that I should specify the IP addresses myself and not let the modem handle it.
1. I don't know what the address at the other end is
2. My modem won't let me specify it

Cheers
N/A

im pretty sure ive got the same modem as you (dsl modem with ethernet output) if so, your gonna have to pass the connection through the modem for a router to connect with, ive got a linksys 4 port cable/dsl router but i dont think it allows non-nat anyway so i cant tell you how to set it up further than that. I think its the rfc bridge setting (havnt looked for a while, i can only remember it says bridge) to get it to pass it onto the router to connect
N/A

Hi,

If your modem is working correctly it should have no difficulty in picking up the Ip assigned by Plus Net for your router.

XX.XX.XX.184 Gateway Address
XX.XX.XX.185 address for router ( currently picked up by our router )
XX.XX.XX.186 spare address
XX.XX.XX.187 Broadcast Address

When you get on line, assuming you can, can you run ipconfig /all from a command prompt. That should pick up the ip addy for your connection, providing that is, that your pc isconnected to the wan side and not a server.

Regards

Mark
N/A

i connect with the modem, (which only asks for username and password, nothing about ips anywhere) it passes the ip to the router then the router uses dhcp to assign dns server and gateways and things like that, what im saying is that you can make the modem pass the connection to router then you put the username and password and maybe some different info into the router
N/A

Thanks for your input. Unfortunately I had to go back to one IP address today because even with a router it didn't work.
I never got the modem to pick up the correct addresses either.

Thanks anyway.
Biffa

Don't worry, even with the router they supply themselves they won't offer guidance, help, or support on ip blocks and non-nat.

They used to be much better at it, there is FAQ on how to configure the Solwise SAR110 Router for NON-NAT which is a router they used to supply.

Their stock answer now is "we don't offer help for this, we just supply the IP block and you should know how to configure a router to do it"

I know how to configure Cisco routers and various firewalls of different manufacturers however even with them unless there is documentation and or FAQ's or even a short readme.txt stepthrough, every piece of hardware is different and unless you know every step to take to manage the software interface for the router (or even the CLI) theres always going to be one setting you miss or one "different" way of doing it for that particular kit that will frustrate you.

So my reccomendation is look around on the net for guides or docs on configuring NON-NAT routers for ADSL, then find the most modern one and buy that.

Either that or find someone you know with the SOLWISE 110 and swap yours for that (thats what I plan to do) Smiley
Biffa

Just went out a bought a D-link G604T Wireless Router and it works a treat with a 4 IP block :roll: