cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IP address and privacy

GersFans
Grafter

IP address and privacy

I hope I have posted this in the right section, if not can someone move it. Thanks.

I have an issue I need clarification on, maybe someone can advise me?

I play and online game (Americas Army) and for some reason I have fallen foul of a clan [30+ member german based clan], they use my IP address to track where I am playing and with which username I am using.

They use a search website like this:http://www.anticheatinc.com/rtstarena/index.php

A simple search of this website reveals my usernames, PB GUID, MAC address and IP addresses I have used to play the game in the last 3 years.

Since I have a static IP address they only have to search using it and they can find me online in which ever server I am on.

So my question is, in relation to the data protection act, or whatever privacy laws exist, are they legally allowed to reveal my IP address to anyone who searches for me?

The clan involved have threatened to attack my computer because they know what my IP address is, and even if I changed my IP address they would still find me using that website above which would reveal my new IP address.

Where do I stand legally on this?

Any help would be appreciated..
7 REPLIES
Firejack
Grafter

IP address and privacy

Don't think the Data Protection Act applies to websites outside of the UK. No legal expert though.

Some other advice. This post seems to indicate a fair bit of anxiety about the situation. While I can understand it feels like an attack them threatening you, you shouldn't be worried, from my experience of dealing with these situations on a regular basis against members in my community.
In the 5 years I've been playing online only 1 attack has ever taken place and that was against our website which was defaced for a few hours... nothing significant.

Your essential data like Real name, Address, Phone number etc are all hidden and can't be revealed from your IP address unless Plus.net disclose this information which they can't as they are bound by the Data Protection Act. So no need to worry about some poorly-spoken german teenager calling you on the phone one day.

Update your Anti-virus regularly, use a Firewall and you won't have any security issues.

If they follow you around between servers take screenshots of them incriminating themselves and report them to the server administrator. Run many game servers in my time and I can say the admin community for online gaming has a pretty strict unwritten code against this sort of behaviour.
N/A

IP address and privacy

You can get around this by going via a proxy server as it wont show up your real ip. There are plenty of free ones to use and you can change them often see

http://www.proxy4free.com/index.html

If you have a router then if they attack your ip they will only get the router not the pc
carrot63
Grafter

IP address and privacy

If they can get hold of your IP, surely you can get hold of theirs? In addition to what Firejack suggested, take the IP address, go to http://www.dnsstuff.com/ and put it in the "reverse DNS lookup" and "IP whois lookup" boxes. from those you should be able to work out who their ISP is (unless they are using proxies) and what the 'abuse' email contact for the ISP is. I'm pretty sure most ISPs would view such behaviour as abuse of the service, and issue a warning to the user or terminate the account. Make sure you note the time in case they are on an ISP who provides dynamic IPs
shellsong
Grafter

IP address and privacy

So no need to worry about some poorly-spoken german teenager calling you on the phone one day.

"Don't answer him, Pike!"
Community Veteran

IP address and privacy

I think the actual words were "Don't tell him your name Pike" Cheesy
GersFans
Grafter

IP address and privacy

Since we seem to have gone off topic totally, i will bring it back;

"So my question is, in relation to the data protection act, or whatever privacy laws exist, are they legally allowed to reveal my IP address to anyone who searches for me?"

The question is in relation to the website who tracks my usage and makes the information available to anyone who searches for it.

I can think of no reason for this website to reveal IP addresses when they already use 3 other methods of identification..
N/A

IP address and privacy

They are not breaking any law even if they are in the uk. The ip doesnt contain any personal data the only people who know who owns that ip at any given time is Plus net. All they are telling everyone is you knickname and ip which doesnt identify you to anyone.

Every time you visit a website or do anything on the net your ip is passed to the web server etc its a bit like CCTV. Unless th eip is registered to a domain it means nothing. If it reged to a domain they can then look up your name and address. It just like your address I can go to the library and look up your address and get all the names of everyone over 16 in your house, I can then search BT and get your tel num you can see if someone has a mind to how they can get your ID