cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IP Max killed my SNR

Gryzor
Grafter

IP Max killed my SNR

EDIT: Apologies for my double-post, as you can see I disconnected during the post thought it hadn't gone through. It had.

Since my supposed upgrade to IPStream Max I have been online for less time than it takes boot XP!

My signal to noise ratio has dropped to 2db currently and my router is defiantly attempting to connect at a staggering 4.8mb. Quite frankly this is stupid! I was on a 1mb line previously and it was as solid as a granite mountain but no I get only for about 10 minutes a day if I am lucky.

I am on day 6 of the 10 days of hell as I have named it and my line has gone from a stable 1mb to an unusable 0mb.

I put a ticket into PlusNet (19218399 if anyone wants to help!) and I have been asked amongst other things what websites I was visiting and whether my Sky box has been plugged in, this aint rocket science all the numbers point to my line trying to do the impossible. Click the 1mb checkbox and click apply, back to where I belong before this 'upgrade' was forced on me.

Anyone else got SNR problems since the attempted upgrade?
8 REPLIES
jagger
Grafter

IP Max killed my SNR

Tried plugging into the mains?

I mean the main socket.No extensions etc.

Swapped filters?Modem/router?

I know it's the same old carp that PN trot out but it can make a difference.

If the answer is yes,please feel free to ignore me.

Tried L8NC yet?
Community Veteran

IP Max killed my SNR

Tried plugging into the mains?

I mean the main socket.No extensions etc.

Hmmm, now theres an idea! Send BT a nice little 240v wake up call! Tongue

BTW your real intention isn't lost on me, I am just picking up on the obvious is all. Wink

@ dyehouse

Stick with it! It should all come good in the end, once the testing is complete.
Gryzor
Grafter

IP Max killed my SNR

I thought the idea of the testing was that it DID disconnect you at various stages however it WAS usable in between so although there was some drops you were able to use it. At the moment I can get online about 5 minutes in every hour. It generally depends on the weather at the moment, overhead cables tend to be more sensitive to the elements so heres praying for sunshine as it can sway it a couple of DB's either way!

EDIT: Some more info. After a weeks on my oen ticket I went and called up. I should point out I hate doing this being an IT geek myself tickets are definately a better system but after little real progress I bit the bullet.

So the latest is basically the 10 day testing system is borked on my line. It keep trying and has basically never gone down since it started, in fact this morning my line was attempting a sync at around 5mb which from my old 1mb line aint gonna happen. Woosh test is gonna be tried and then onto BTW (fingers crossed they can do something without an engineer).
N/A

IP Max killed my SNR

Sorry to hear ya all having the same probs as me...i have the same problem, the IPStream Max is not working correctly, you should have the odd loss of signal so the unit can find the correct speed, this is over a period of 10 days but can be sorted out in as little as 3 days.

The problems we are facing is that the units are not working correctly and are causing disconnections all the time...I'm lucky that I can connect in the day but after 7pm I might as well shut the comps down.

Why the hell did they think we needed a regrade to 8mb I was happy on 2mb and after talking to a supervisor it would be quicker to cancel the Max and go back to 2mb only takes 7days.
Gryzor
Grafter

IP Max killed my SNR

My ticket is still open and has been posted internally, I am awaiting on an update that says BT Wholesale are on the case. Nothing yet but it seems Support is kinda overworked at the moment.
N/A

IP Max killed my SNR

My SNR dropped to 9.5dB from 22dB previously. Fortunately the connection seems to be holding.
Gryzor
Grafter

IP Max killed my SNR

I did the clever 'disconnect line 3' trick and now my line is trying to sync higher and my SNR is now 2.5db! It made things worse.

If PN dont pull there finger out I am going, its been a week now.
shellsong
Grafter

IP Max killed my SNR

You should end up on about 5-6dB SNR-- anything less can cause a flaky connection, more and you might be losing out on speed improvement. Some poor lines with very variable SNR need a bit more leeway