cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IP Blocks, what do I need?

N/A

I have a Windows Small Business Server 2003 (SBS), using ISA server as the main firewall. I'm running an Exchange server as part of SBS on the one server. SBS also has a VPN allowing users to connect via the server IP address/domain name. This all works well on my Draytek Vigor 2600plus.

I have a Plus Net no-NAT account giving me 4 IP addresses. As far as I can tell I the router has one address, the server has one address and there are two others one of which doesn't appear to do anything and the other points to the router as well.

We have another office and I want to set up a permanent VPN between them without affecting the VPN passthrough that currently works. The VPN between routers will be used for VoIP using a separate telephone switch.

Can someone explain what I might need to do? Do I need more IP addresses?

Any suggestions appreciated.
6 REPLIES
N/A

The 4 addresses will be 2 usable, a network and a broadcast address...

What is at the remote end? SBS has RRAS which can easily provide dial on demand VPN tunnels.

Sounds like you've got it pretty sussed so I'm not too sure what it is you're asking..... :?
N/A

Thanks for your reply, I'm just not sure how to use the two available IP addresses. I have one pointing at my router and one at my server. How do I get the one pointing at my router to point somewhere else?

My thoughts are that I simply assign the spare IP to another device (my VoIP telephone switch for example) and then plug it directly into one of the lan ports on the router.

Does this sound right?
N/A

As I see it, you don't have a spare IP. You need one IP for your router, and one for your server.
N/A

Here is where I'm a bit confused. Plus net lists me with 4 IP addresses. The first two open my router web config page the 3rd one goes to my server and the 4th seems to be a broadcast address (which I don't really know what that means).

Do both the first two IPs need to point to my router or just the one?
N/A

This is what plus net says I have:

212.159.97.xx2 Gateway Address
212.159.97.xx3 address for router
212.159.97.xx4 spare address
212.159.97.xx5 Broadcast Address

If I type the gateway address into my browser I get the router home page. This is the same if I type in the router address. If I type in the spare address I get my SBS homepage. If I type in the broadcast address I get a 'page cannot be displayed.'

If i want to use my VoIP exchange, will I need another IP address?
N/A

You are a little confused.

Your network allocated will have a subnet of 255.255.255.252. Thismeans the ip range is four addresses, the first is the network address relating to all four the last is the broadcast address and the midle two you can use for devices.

You cannot get your router to point to another address. Assuming that your other office has Broadband?? and with plus net you can get another range of addresses for that office and set up a permanent VPN connection between to two offices, you then point your conection to the address of the second office. You will need to check the way to configure this on your router and you may find it easier to have the same router at each end. Alternatively the second office can use the windows inbuilt vpn client to connect direct to your server using VPN passthorugh in port forwadring onthe router.