cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IP Addresses

N/A

IP Addresses

I'm on Broadband Premier and was wondering if there is any way of changing from static ip to dynamic ip?

I have no need of a static ip and for security reasons I would prefer a dynamic one.
4 REPLIES
N/A

IP Addresses

Premier only comes with a static address offering. It's been raised a few times to be able to choose between the 2 but I think it's very low on their priorities (like a few other things)

As for the old security chestnut - just make sure you use a good firewall and it's properly configured. I'd say a pool of dynamic addresses are more attractive to a hacker because it's likely they'd mostly be in use all the time than say a static address which might only be used some of the time. You can change your static hostname from username.plus.com to something less identifying - just raise a ticket.
Discostoo
Grafter

IP Addresses

you can change if you complain enough, its been mentioned on these very hallowed forums. I use a program called Hide IP Platinum, as PN put you on a Static IP so they can monitor your usage, especially if you've ever had you traffic "ahem" managed... but then again, many pay more for a static IP, so meh *shrugs*.
prichardson
Grafter

IP Addresses

Hi,

Once upon a time, indeed, managment would rely on a static IP, however there is no longer any such requirement.

Premier accounts do not have any facility to have a dynamic IP, and Plus accounts have no facility for a static IP.

With regards to feeling secure with a dynamic IP, don't.

You are no less vulnerable to the nasties on the internet with a dynamic than with a static one.

If a attacker, fraudster or anybody else for that matter, wanted to know your details, they have the exact same chance of sucess.

Kind Regards,
N/A

IP Addresses

For once I can not disagree with a PN employee lol.. dynamic IPs are no safer than static IPs and just cause you inconvinience, ergo, you are better off with a static IP than a dynamic on.